Megasquirt project recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt project recommendations

I was looking for suggestions on a good vehicle to learn how to tune with a megasquirt type setup. My priorities are that it be easy to adapt to megasquirt and cheap. I was thinking a TBI truck would be good since I could use a pick up truck anyway. I would love to figure out how to run an LSX or a New Hemi with one but am afraid that I will be biting off way more than I can chew with something like that. Given the complication with the coil on plug ignitions

What other research should I be doing? (Book, online articles ect.)

I am worried this whole thing might be over my head. I have a solid theoretical understanding of engine operation but my experience with cars at this point has been just repairing whatever breaks to keep it running. I can get around a computer pretty well but I don’t know C++ or any other code language.

dieselgeek you seem to be a god when it comes to this stuff any advise for a mere mortal?

Re: Megasquirt project recommendations

I would get ahold of Scott "DieselGeek"
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

you should get a hold of scott (dieselgeek) he could point you in the right direction.

Comment

dpaqu, my understanding of the tuning for a MegaSquirt setup is very similar no matter what the engine. Engines need fuel and spark at the right time regardless of 4,6,8 or 10 cylinders. That being said it is probably easier to start with having to only tune the fuel side of it and let a conventional distributor control timing, but from reading megasquirt.info it probably wouldn't take much more learning, testing to get the ignition part of it setup.

For research www.megasquirt.info and the associated forums have tons of information. Little overwelming at first, but once you know what you want to find it's pretty easy to look it up.

You don't need to know any programming language to set up and run MS unless you want to try and enhance the features in some way that hasn't been done, everything appears to be done through MegaTune (DieselGeek?).

In a few days I'll begin assembly on my MegaSquirt ECM and over the next couple months begin assembling the parts so that sometime early summer I hope to install it on my Skylark.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

TheSilverBuick I understand that the general principles apply no mater what engine but there are still sensor setting and probably a myriad of things that make some applications more difficult than others. I am soldering together my setup also and am going to test it with the stimulator as soon as I get done assembling it. I am sure I will have questions when I get to that too. In the meantime if a good deal crops up on craigslist or whatever I want to know what I am looking for.

I got all kinds of crazy ideas of things I would like to do if/when I get this to work. Some involve E85.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
            you should get a hold of scott (dieselgeek) he could point you in the right direction.

pm him

Comment

Pretty much any engine that uses a non-optical, generic missionary position distributor will be equally hard or easy to learn on. Use the sensors that MS recommends to make it easy and all it knows is the info from these sensors and the output to give. It doesn't care whether it's a TBI truck or whatever.

Look at the breakdown illustration in the megamanual about how the things are basicall routed and you can really see the simplicity of it.

I'd steer clear of optical distributors or coil on plug stuff for your first foray.

Comment

wow, I log out for a lunch break and come back to these huge posts!

You are on the right track, start with something that isn't all that special. One of my favorite starter projects was a friend bought a half ton Chevy pickup truck, put MS-II on it for fuel only, with a later model GM TBI. Cheap adapters bolted it right up, a TBI fuel pump is $40, and it was very good for him to start tuning on.

I say, start just like revolutionary suggested. Fuel only, using a basic distributor. Once that's done and running, make the next task to control ignition. By then you'll feel so comfortable with MS, you'll want to tackle the distributorless, cam and crank sensor stuff.

If you have a stimulator, you are making things easier on yourself for sure.

Feel free to post up other questions! I learned everything I know now about tuning, by working on more and more complicated Megasquirt projects. This latest one I am working on, uses dual fuel systems (87 octane, and methanol) and phases in the secondary fuel as boost comes on. Quite complex. But we used a stimulator to test it on the bench and it all works.

I'm anxious to hear your progress, and glad to help,

-scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott just helped me with the EMS-PRO install on the GTO (THANKS BUDDY!!!!!). We are only controlling the timing side and using all of the inputs for data logging purposes. Also working on a driveshaft speed sensor to monitor converter slippage. The fuel side will come later for me.

Drove the car for the first time lastnight with the new EMS. It goes to the track this sunday.

Comment

brock

thats great to hear.

shaun

Comment

Shaun, your first project was an HEI MPFi Gm 350 in a vette. Yours started on the first try. If I remember correctly you then swapped to a MSD pro billet disty in that vette because the HEI unit was behaving badly?

Goat Racer's approach was interesting, he chose to implement the hard stuff (ignition) first, then fuel later on.

To each his own, I just think the biggest thing going into any EFI/EMS project is to have a little patience, and someone to turn to with questions!

-scott
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I usually make thing difficult for myself! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                          Shaun, your first project was an HEI MPFi Gm 350 in a vette. Yours started on the first try. If I remember correctly you then swapped to a MSD pro billet disty in that vette because the HEI unit was behaving badly?

Goat Racer's approach was interesting, he chose to implement the hard stuff (ignition) first, then fuel later on.

To each his own, I just think the biggest thing going into any EFI/EMS project is a little patience, and someone to turn to with questions!

-scott

that and we had to figure out that damn fuel pump/oil pressure thing. that was one of my fav installs because i did the install. must have lots of patience

Comment

The more and more I see this megasquirt stuff, it makes me want to give it a go. After I aquire some new wheels, I may attempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by goat racer
                              Scott just helped me with the EMS-PRO install on the GTO (THANKS BUDDY!!!!!). We are only controlling the timing side and using all of the inputs for data logging purposes. Also working on a driveshaft speed sensor to monitor converter slippage. The fuel side will come later for me.

Drove the car for the first time lastnight with the new EMS. It goes to the track this sunday.

Post some pics and vids when you get back, please.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X