Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Megasquirt project recommendations

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    wow, I log out for a lunch break and come back to these huge posts!

You are on the right track, start with something that isn't all that special. One of my favorite starter projects was a friend bought a half ton Chevy pickup truck, put MS-II on it for fuel only, with a later model GM TBI. Cheap adapters bolted it right up, a TBI fuel pump is $40, and it was very good for him to start tuning on.

I say, start just like revolutionary suggested. Fuel only, using a basic distributor. Once that's done and running, make the next task to control ignition. By then you'll feel so comfortable with MS, you'll want to tackle the distributorless, cam and crank sensor stuff.

If you have a stimulator, you are making things easier on yourself for sure.

Feel free to post up other questions! I learned everything I know now about tuning, by working on more and more complicated Megasquirt projects. This latest one I am working on, uses dual fuel systems (87 octane, and methanol) and phases in the secondary fuel as boost comes on. Quite complex. But we used a stimulator to test it on the bench and it all works.

I'm anxious to hear your progress, and glad to help,

-scott

DIYautotune has adapter boards to allow MS to plug directly into the GM TBI (GM ecm's '746/'747) harness with no harness mod's plug and play. Ask either Matt or Jerry for info....

Comment

Matt and Jerry are great people to deal with. They double checked to make sure what I wanted fit my application and even suggested I go with MegaSquirt 1 (a down sell to a lower price from MS2) which told me that they rather have a very satified customer over a quick buck. ;) Of course I'm being difficult and going with MS2 despite DIYautotune's and DieselGeek's advice that MS1 would be sufficient, hopefully it doesn't bite me in the rear later as they know what they'er talking about.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        Matt and Jerry are great people to deal with. They double checked to make sure what I wanted fit my application and even suggested I go with MegaSquirt 1 (a down sell to a lower price from MS2) which told me that they rather have a very satified customer over a quick buck. ;) Of course I'm being difficult and going with MS2 despite DIYautotune's and DieselGeek's advice that MS1 would be sufficient, hopefully it doesn't bite me in the rear later as they know what they'er talking about.
        nah, you'll be fine with MS2 and glad you did it. I generally stick with MS1-Extra until the MS2-Extra code can support all the same distributorless ignitions which will be sometime in the next few months!

We're also working on a microsquirt-based trans controller for GM electronic transmissions.

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I want to thank you guys for your input. I was going to e-mail dieselgeek but thought that others might find the responses helpful.

I own the basic megasquirt fuel controller. A gift for Christmas from my electrical engineer brother. He bought it for himself and did not have time to mess with it. It turns out one of my buddies at work used to solder for a living. He says he soldered 24 layer boards with a video camera/tv setup in clean rooms and that the megasquirt would be no problem. Hopefully I can learn some tricks from him since I have never soldered on a board before.

Looks like I am looking for a fuel injected vehicle that has a distributor. I wonder how many different applications DIYautotune has for adapter boards? That could save some time. I will definitely contact them.

The pace that this stuff is developing is incredible. I read that there is going to be a completely new processor with an ion sensing abilities for timing control. This stuff is just awesome.

Comment

For reference, I'm starting mine with a 4-pin module HEI and once I have it running decently enough with that I plan on switching it to a 7-pin module HEI to get a little control over timing.

Comment

Speaking of 7-pin modules and MS2... Scott, does controlling the 7-pin distributor require MS2-extra? And addition of some parts to the PCB3.0 board?

Comment

Speaking of 7-pin modules and MS2... Scott, does controlling the 7-pin distributor require MS2-extra? And addition of some parts to the PCB3.0 board?

I think you don't need Extra firmware, BUT I WOULD RUN IT, on the MS2 to run an HEI module. You always have the MS1 chip that you can run it with MS1 Extra. I recommend the Extra code in either case since (a) two of my closer friend write it and (b) it's where everyone's headed. B&G code is nice for starters, but Extra is what's more tested and supported IMO.

-scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I am seriously starting to lean towards the MS1/extra now, go figure. Thanks for the rely

Comment

[quote=dieselgeek ]
                    We're also working on a microsquirt-based trans controller for GM electronic transmissions.

-scott
                    dam ill be
                    able to use a electronic trans with out spending an extra 800. on a controller!

Comment

Ok, so tell me if this stuff has possibilities for me.

I'm currently running a BBC with 2 x 750 cfm 4150 HP carbs on top of a 671 blower. I have an MSD Digital-6 Plus box, Blaster-2 coil, Mallory Unilite distributor and a pretty raspy roller cam. I'm also using a TH400 with a transbrake wired into my MSD two-step rev limiter.

Can I adopt/adapt Megasquirt to work something like an old style Enderle injector hat on top of this blower ? That would be a pretty cool thing, using old school injection hardware with new injection management technology. This is the sort of project that could be a ton of fun to dive into but I don't want to introduce something that will hurt me on the street or on the track.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wikd69
                        Ok, so tell me if this stuff has possibilities for me.

I'm currently running a BBC with 2 x 750 cfm 4150 HP carbs on top of a 671 blower. I have an MSD Digital-6 Plus box, Blaster-2 coil, Mallory Unilite distributor and a pretty raspy roller cam. I'm also using a TH400 with a transbrake wired into my MSD two-step rev limiter.

Can I adopt/adapt Megasquirt to work something like an old style Enderle injector hat on top of this blower ? That would be a pretty cool thing, using old school injection hardware with new injection management technology. This is the sort of project that could be a ton of fun to dive into but I don't want to introduce something that will hurt me on the street or on the track.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

Answer = YES.

BDS makes some cool accessories for running old school injector setups, with newer style electronic injectors. They have distribution blocks, braided line, and threaded injector bodies so you don't have to run a new style fuel rail. And the stuff is surprisingly cost effective too.

We did that car "The Exterminator" for barry's Speed Shop, hid all the electronics but ran the BDS stuff on top of a 8-71 blown 454 with a lot of success. Just make sure you size your injectors (quantity also) properly to the application.

-scott

Comment

Hey Scott, I have a driveshaft rpm set up for my tach I have never hooked up can I set that up like a speedo and log drive shaft rpm instead ? It reads two magnets on the u joint
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

A little off-topic, but...

At one time I was a diesel mechanic (among other things) many many moons ago. I looked at the possibility of using a Roosamaster injection pump on a toughened-up small block chebbie to produce an injected smallblock engine (either gas or diesel). Idea was to replace the distributor with the Roosamaster and pretty much adapt the SBC to handle injection. I still think it'd be a pretty cool project but prolly not too cost effective, given todays electronic management packages.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                              Hey Scott, I have a driveshaft rpm set up for my tach I have never hooked up can I set that up like a speedo and log drive shaft rpm instead ? It reads two magnets on the u joint
                              yes, it requires a little "customization" on your emspro, I'm doing one for parish, GoatRacer, and on a bench here at home. I'll have it ready when you're ready for an install. Your EMS's should be in my mail box any day!!

also testing out a new plug & play harness for LS1 engines. MS has a lot of new stuff coming soon,

-scott

Comment

Originally posted by wikd69
                                A little off-topic, but...

At one time I was a diesel mechanic (among other things) many many moons ago. I looked at the possibility of using a Roosamaster injection pump on a toughened-up small block chebbie to produce an injected smallblock engine (either gas or diesel). Idea was to replace the distributor with the Roosamaster and pretty much adapt the SBC to handle injection. I still think it'd be a pretty cool project but prolly not too cost effective, given todays electronic management packages.
                                well, you'd have to put a throttle on it for gasoline. Also, would the gas engine be "direct injected" since the injectors on the Gm diesel are run into the precombustion chambers? I know for sure the roosamaster would need to be doubled in size just to make stock gasoline HP since the gasoline BTU content is a lot less than diesel. Then there's the timing thing, you would have to modify the roosamaster to have a variable timing (not just "cold or warm" like the originals... it would need to inject before the spark event. Sounds like a lot of work to me!

Comment

Working...
                                X