X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Megasquirt project recommendations

Originally posted by ecniv
    Originally posted by dieselgeek
    also testing out a new plug & play harness for LS1 engines. MS has a lot of new stuff coming soon,

-scott
    How 'bout something for us LT1 guys? I'd love to run MS on my Camaro, just too lazy to build a harness...
    Your problem is that freaking Optispark. It's got a low res, 4-cyl signal, which we can't use, and a high-res signal we also can't use (360 teeth).

However, there are places now making bolt on EDIS wheel adapters for the crank balancer/pulley/whatever. Mount a CKP sensor, I prefer the GM LS1 crank pos sensor, then you can run wasted spark coilpacks. The harness isn't that big of a deal, just use your stock one but make sure you understand how it works.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by ecniv
      also testing out a new plug & play harness for LS1 engines. MS has a lot of new stuff coming soon,

-scott
      How 'bout something for us LT1 guys? I'd love to run MS on my Camaro, just too lazy to build a harness...
      Your problem is that freaking Optispark. It's got a low res, 4-cyl signal, which we can't use, and a high-res signal we also can't use (360 teeth).

However, there are places now making bolt on EDIS wheel adapters for the crank balancer/pulley/whatever. Mount a CKP sensor, I prefer the GM LS1 crank pos sensor, then you can run wasted spark coilpacks. The harness isn't that big of a deal, just use your stock one but make sure you understand how it works.

If you have an OBDII LT1 you can use the factory crank trigger into the Squirt to control fuel and spark, and then distribute the spark thru the opti distributer High Voltage side.The parts that fail in the Opti are because the high Voltage is in with the VERY precise low voltage optical signal(problematic) if you get rid of the Opti 360 tooth wheel, then the opti is less problematic. I had also heard the rotor like to fly apart at high rpm, althought I've had mine to 7K many times and it still works.

I have been meaning to switch my RX7 to a squirt but I have too many projects and it still runs,so it will be messed with last.(Or if the opti does go out)

Comment

thats what you get when you outsource to mitsubishi [optispark]

Comment

Do you think it will work on a motorcycle?
          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
            Do you think it will work on a motorcycle?
            They make a "Microsquirt" that comes in a small casing for such things. All the other FI hardware would have to be adapted to the motorcycle or take an existing FI motorcycle and run it with it.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks. I will have to look into it.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

On the LT1 we have at the shop we put on an Electromotive (same as anyones) 36-1 tooth wheel on the front of the stock balancer by tapping the blank holes there and ran a plane jane crank trigger off it to the MS. The way we have it spaced out is in the way of the Opti spark plug wires but we aren't using those. We're running coil packs. You can make up a different bracket to mount the pickup in a different location.

Also using the factory manual, we cut into the factory harness to have the MS run the injection and ignition but the factory computer still runs whatever is left. Cut D9 on the blue harness to axe the MIL on the dash. The MS harness can run through an existing hole under the factory ECU and you can mount the MS behind the glove box for a totally hidden system that still retains the factory engine wiring harness for an OEM look.

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
                  On the LT1 we have at the shop we put on an Electromotive (same as anyones) 36-1 tooth wheel on the front of the stock balancer by tapping the blank holes there and ran a plane jane crank trigger off it to the MS. The way we have it spaced out is in the way of the Opti spark plug wires but we aren't using those. We're running coil packs. You can make up a different bracket to mount the pickup in a different location.

Also using the factory manual, we cut into the factory harness to have the MS run the injection and ignition but the factory computer still runs whatever is left. Cut D9 on the blue harness to axe the MIL on the dash. The MS harness can run through an existing hole under the factory ECU and you can mount the MS behind the glove box for a totally hidden system that still retains the factory engine wiring harness for an OEM look.
                  good tip

Comment

It would be cool if somebody would market a pulley/toothed wheel combo for popular engines like the SB Chevy.

Along the same lines I was particularly impressed by this guys set up.
                    http://www.hbci.com/~tskwiot/2002_MSII.html

He used JB weld to make a flange were there was none before to bolt up a Ford EDIS trigger wheel.

If anyone else has pick/links to other setup ideas please post.

Comment

i think this picture would be good to show, along with yours.

Comment

Chad

you should post a pic of what you did.

Scott

Do you have a pic of this anywhere.

Comment

Check out the 2 vids at the top of this thread:

A forum community dedicated to Dodge Dart owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

---

Comment

cool vid!!

I remember the days before MS was the most widely used engine management. People used to say things like "I wouldn't put that junk on my car"

things sure have changed in three years!
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                            X