LT1 4th gen starter advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 4th gen starter advice

I recommend against using a Napa 4N1603 on a LT1 4th gen with Kooks long tube headers. Long story short, I had to replace the OEM starter on this year’s power tour in Kansas and the local shop only had access to Napa starters. Unfortunately, this combination resulted in unacceptable heat sink issues. My subsequent application of a heat wrap and then a heat shield (aluminum) only made the issue worse. Resistance was so bad the coating on the main feed from the battery melted near the starter connection. I have since replaced the Napa unit with an AC Delco replacement of the original starter and have had no issues.

My loss, could be your gain. Napa replaced the “heat soaked’ starter with a never used replacement (their policy is no cash refunds). Napa describes the 4N1603 as a new, high performance “race starter”. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty. I paid $400 (not including installation) from the Kansas shop (robbery price, yes, but I was ~ 1,400 miles from home). The Napa online price is $275. Your price excluding shipping is $200 plus shipping. I estimate shipping to be $20.

I can send pics, if interested, send text to 201-707-5050
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

I've replaced the starter on my dad's SS a few times over the years and never even heard of a main feed melting.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Im just going to be lazy and not put headers on mine 😎
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
      X