2010 Ford F150 - rattle or knock at shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Ford F150 - rattle or knock at shutdown

I was greeted with a nasty surprise today a lunchtime. When I shut off my 2010 F150, it made kind of a rattling or knocking when I turned off the key.

Here is a video of the sound: https://youtu.be/l1hQe6QWkM8

I am at a loss. The truck is a 2010 F150 4x4, 4.6 3V, and it runs and drives just fine, with no unusual noises. At least until this morning. It sound like it may be coming from the bellhousing area.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a guess based on a semi-related experience. It sounds similar to a Dodge van I used to work on. The center of the flex plate had broken (eventually fully) from the outer and the van eventually went badly out of time as the timing pickup was in the flywheel. But before it stopped running it sort of sounded like that - worth a check. It you have a borescope you could pull either the inspection cover or if that doesn't give a good view pull the starter which is how I found the issue on the Dodge.

Dan

Comment

wow.
      that is intimidating..
      it does sound like it is riding around on the rotation of engine parts.

I'd guess flywheel too.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

To update this a little...

I got a hold of a mechanics stethescope, and listened around under the truck while my daughter started it up and shut it down a few times.

Good news - found where the noise is coming from
        Bad news, it is coming from the bell housing area

I kind of suspect the torque converter or the flexplate. Thanks for your input guys.

At least I have my mustang to drive to work...

Pat

Comment

The autopsy is done, and the verdict is: Torque Converter. It was coming apart internally. When it was drained, a few chunks fell out, and the fluid was black. Luckily it didn't send much metal into the transmission, and the trans can be rebuilt instead needing a replacement unit. I checked into reman transmissions, and they retail for nearly 4k! Salvage pullouts were in the neighborhood of $1500, and most of those had more miles than my exising transmission. Plus labor and taxes to get it installed. The bill will still end in the word
          "thousand", but it is still cheaper than if I took it to the dealer.

Comment

I hate all those zeros! Glad you found it before it got any deader (spell check let that one slide....).

Dan

Comment

i am afraid to ask what transmission it is.
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

It is a 6R80. It a 6 speed, and it the 2009-2010 version a bit of on orphan. The TCM is built into the valvebody. I still don't have the damn think back yet. It was back together on Monday, but it wouldn't shift into overdrive. One the many solenoids on the valvebody got contaminated, and my choice as either a new valvebody from Ford, to the tune of $1100, or order a new solenoid to replace the bad one, about $60 and wait a little longer. Ive got a call into the shop now, and I'm going to drop in on them at lunchtime.

As much as I like my truck, I am seriously considering selling it, and buying a late 80s or 90s f150. At least I can find parts for those on craigslist or in the junkyard.

Comment

Working...
                X