Manual Transmission/clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Transmission/clutch questions

I just started driving my Skylark today after a year of down time (finally!) and just have a few questions of things to look out for. I've never owned a manual transmission car (driven plenty) and am just curious on how to identify failing parts pre-emptively. I've driven vehicles with bad clutches, mis-adjusted clutches and bad syncro's so I'm pretty sure I could identify those problems if they occur. It's mechanical linkage, I'm pretty sure I can identify problems with that because how visible it is. What I am really wondering is what the symptoms are for:

A bad pilot bushing?

A bad throw out bearing?

Problems with the clutch fork?

Any other odd ball issues that rarely come up?

Information is always helpful
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: Manual Transmission/clutch questions

Bad throw out bearings usually are shown by clutch chatter during clutch releases. A cracked bearing cover which the throw out bearing rides on can also cause this. (happened to me)

Bad pilot bushings can throw the input shaft out of alignment which will cause the input bearing to go out. That can be identified by bearing noise in 3rd or 4th gears. (So will a cracked or bent bearing cover, ask me how I know this.) I've rarely seen a bad pilot bushing unless the bellhousing is way out of alignment.

The clutch fork usually doesn't wear but sometimes crack. The pivot ball it rides on will wear. This will cause sloppiness in the clutch linkage.

Have fun dumping the clutch and banging gears.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Just a word of advice, Make sure the pedal has some free play or you will be replacing the throwout bearing soon.

Comment

I know sometimes a pilot bushing can be replaced with a pilot bearing.
        I have seen the bearings fail making the clutch harder to release because the input shaft keeps turning when the clutch peddle is down.
        Grinding noise when shifting is usually worn out brass syncro rings.
        Release bearing noise usually shows up when peddle is depressed.
        Input bearing noise usually shows up when clutch is release and trans is in neutral.
        Noise that goes away after shifting into 4th usually is counter shaft bearings.

Comment

Thanks for the input, just want to be able to catch things early before anything catastophic.

Comment

chevy motor ? I have a few roller pilot bearings for chevy i can send you

Comment

My Buick V6 uses the same bearing. I'll take one.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It's a Buick 455, but if I'm looking it up right, it appears that it's the same bushing as a '72 Chevy 350, so I'd think it would be the same one. What are those roller pilot bearings going for and more importantly are they fit for daily driving (8,000-10,000 miles a year)? If so I'd be interested as I'm going to be pulling the engine again in the summer to replace with a significantly upgraded one.

Comment

Working...
                X