Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip Tilt Front end.....how have you hinged yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip Tilt Front end.....how have you hinged yours?

From my research, the farther forwards and lower the pivot point is the better chance you stand of not having the lower rear of the fenders collide with the front edge of the doors.

Seems simple enough, right?

There are slide and tilts. Pulls forwards to change the path of the arc before tilting.

There are ramps and wheels to spread the fenders and guide them around the cowl/doors.

There are knuckle hinges that lift and flop the pivot point forwards several inches before tilting.

I am sure there are many more ways to skin that cat.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Having a C4 it just came that way . But you could duplicate how they did it . Just leave the bottom of the fender ( from the molding down } down and unattached to the rest of the dog house .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm curious too, I have a 68 Vette that has a one piece front clip that came with it when I bought it ( car had been wrecked ) but I hear a C2 is kinda hard to do a flip front, don't know? Since I have my 71, I was thinking of something like 70/80's Pro Street for the 68 since it had to be redone anyway. I've seen them year's ago so I know it's possible.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I would say just cut the bottom of the fenders off and attach them to the cowl.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

There are some really cool ways out there to flip a nose.

Just trying to drive a little traffic on the site. Someone out there has to have a flip they want to show off?

Comment

they made a drag car on Bitchin Rides, they altered an F150 tilt hinge assembly for one man operation....and by they way, if you have old Dish Network stuff, get your upgrade already. I dont know how many years I went not getting HD on the regular boxes and in turn getting Velocity back.

anyway, another site called out a place called rodplans.com. They mis spelled it so it does work if you saw it.
            Last edited by anotheridiot; December 14, 2016, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Easy answer - try not to make any of the tilting-up part lower than the hinge. The C4 splits the fenders for that reason. You could also use a four link to move the instant center to below the ground, which would be more complicated but add even more clearance.

Comment

4-link and instant center...............now you're talking. That's the best method I've seen yet.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  4-link and instant center...............now you're talking. That's the best method I've seen yet.
                  That's a thought I've toyed with for the 68! One day it'll be it's turn in the shop! In the meantime I'll keep looking for a C2 that's been fliped for some inspiration!

Comment

I went through the whole how-to-deal-with-the-front-end thing on my Chevy II, and decided that I really wanted a hood that I can open, not a tilt front end. Maybe there's a good reason for you to use one, but I dont really know that that might be.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Reason? On this wayback trip to the 70's.....we don't need no stinkin' reason.

You make a good point Jim. My '56 front end consists of a radiator/fender support, fenders, a grill and not much else. Just seems like it's all ready to be bolted together and hinged.

Plus my inner child nearly pitching a fit remembering all the flip fronts we drooled over when we were 10. Darn kids anyways.

Last edited by STINEY; December 16, 2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

That's what I remember, they always had a huge car show down in Mobile, AL inside the civic center back in the 70's. There we're always about a dozen with tilt front ends, practical, probably not but I always had an urge to do one.

Comment

If you get a one piece glass front end, then I can see hinging it. Otherwise, it's just a big pita.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            If you get a one piece glass front end, then I can see hinging it. Otherwise, it's just a big pita.
                            I agree, so since the 68 has no front clip and it came with a one piece front clip I figured if I'm ever gonna try it this is the perfect circumstance/project. But if someone wants a 68 to restore I'll probably sell it, got to much to do as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              I went through the whole how-to-deal-with-the-front-end thing on my Chevy II, and decided that I really wanted a hood that I can open, not a tilt front end. Maybe there's a good reason for you to use one, but I dont really know that that might be.
                              If it's done right, and on a full-frame design or at least something that doesn't have structural inner fenders, you end up with a ton of room to work on the motor. I had a Triumph Spitfire where you could just about sit on the front tire and wrench on it. On the C4 Corvette, it wasn't quite as accessible due to the lower portion on the fenders, but wasn't any worse than a normal hood. But yeah - done wrong, you can make it a royal pain to open and not gain anything in access.

Comment

Working...
                              X