convert from 1/4 mile to full mile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert from 1/4 mile to full mile.

i've wanted to try land speed racing for a long time now and i think i might just give it a try.
    i just need a few opinions on how to turn a car that was set up for racing in the 1/4 mile to one that could do well in a full mile.
    i guess the 5.13's and 3500 stall have to go, but what gears and stall would be best? i've pegged the stock 130 speedo with 3.42's but i don't remember how long it took to get there. is there a fourmula for 1 mile racing like there is for 1/4 mile that would help me pick out a set of gears, rather than just throwing in a set of 2.73's or 3.08's?
    i was also thinking about maybe a 2200 stall or something like that rather than a stock one. any opinions here?
    i have 3 way adjustable shocks on the front, could i just put them on the 70/30 setting, or should i just get new ones?
    could i just run goodyear front runners on the rear just like i have up front, or are there tires that would work better?
    i was also thinking about lowering the car, but the exhaust would have to go, do you need to run exhaust?
    the car has a 6pt roll bar, 5pt harness, driveshaft loop, and i've got a jacket and helmet, how fast can you go with that?
    it's been 11.60's @ 112, and i've never had a problem teching in at a track except for a battery cut off switch.
    a lot of questions here i know, and i need a rule book for sure. (i'll sign up and send for one in a little bit)
    any advice would be gladly appreciated, thanks.

p.s. i'll give more info if needed, it's just that i don't know what you need.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: convert from 1/4 mile to full mile.

Are you thinking of running Maxton/Texas Mile, or on the salt? Makes a difference, I've been told (I have only run at Maxton, being a po' boy). Here's some general guidlines -

On the gear ratio, basically you back calculate from the desired trap speed. Use tire speed, RPM you are comfortable with at the top end, available HP, etc, and fudge the numbers from there. There are calculators on line for that - try <landracing.com>.

At Maxton we're on pavement (concrete launch pad and some of each on down the track), so a decent launch (NOT a dragstrip launch - all our burnouts are behind the steering wheel!) is helpful. Drag radials are one good choice for the drive wheels, with front runners or other speed-rated short tire in front.

On my car, the recommendations from the trans guys so far are to try the stock converter (250 six w/TH350), but so far I have zero experience with a modified engine. I ran the stock 250 last year, but am coming back w/some HP, so we'll see how it does.

I just installed a decent set of parts store shocks on all four corners and that seems to work OK. Remember to get the car as low as possible. I have to block up my suspension to get the car on the trailer - works OK.

On the safety stuff - I don't have the rule book in front of me and I don't know what kind of car you're running, but I'll give you my best recollection from memory. Assuming it's a closed car, the 6 point gets you to at least 150 (maybe 175 - I'm a bit fuzzy there). Above 150 you'll need a basic fire system (Fire Fox or such). Be sure you have a FULL FACE Snell 2000 or better helmet, with the face shield. The shield is to keep flash off your face in the event of a fire. When I raced NHRA, the full face was not a requirement, so this may be different for you. I bought a Bell M2005 (a motorcycle helmet) but I wish I'd bought the car one - the difference is in the fire rating. If I start going really fast (not likely!) I'll have to get a new one.

Welcome to the silliness. If you're coming to Maxton, contact me thru the website <ecta-lsr.com> and we'll talk about volunteering. It's lots of fun and a good way to learn a bit about LSR for free.

Hope this helps
    Dan

Comment

thanks,
      i was thinking about Maxton. i don't know which one i would go to yet, i'm still in the planning stages.
      the car is a camaro. i was thinking about taking the rear spoiler off, lowering it, and maybe covering up the grill and headlights. i was even thinking of some sort of belly pan. all legeal right?
      it has a pretty mild 350 with a cheater kit. i really don't have any idea how fast it would go yet, i would hope for 150.

my caculations so far tell me i need a 3.08 at 6000 rpm to do 160. wether i can do it or not i don't know.
      how much does weight affect a run? probably not as much as drag racing, but it still has to have some affect, right?
      thanks again
      Originally posted by TC

Comment

well, what do you consider fast???? ;D
        that has a lot to do with what its going to to take to do it. 150 is easy... it doesn't take a whole lot. The best thing to do is get a rule book because many of the things you have listed are only legal in certain classes.

you need regular shocks, I saw a car with the front wheels just about off the ground running drag shocks on the car.

Comment

David F did a nice synopsis of what determines class in LSR - check some of his other posts. Basically, it's engine size and type, gas or fuel, and aero mods (or lack thereof). As you add spoilers, air dams, etc, the car's class will change. A belly pan shifts it again. So you'll want to carefully decide what you want to use depending on the class you'd like to run.

If you want to run gas class, bring the car empty, as you'll need to buy track fuel (or have a sealed can of the gas of your choice) and have the tank sealed at the fuel trailer. If you want to run fuel, it doesn't matter.

Another MAJOR thing to keep in mind - your engine will have to run WOT for as long as it takes you to complete a run (like 45 seconds to a minute, depending on how fast you are). This is a BIG DEAL. Running like 15 seconds or less (remember to add the burnout) at WOT at a drag strip is a whole different deal. You may want to chose a bit more conservative tune, or gear or shift differently to keep the combo alive. I'm not saying LSR is harder, just different.

Have fun
          Dan

Comment

Dan, Do you know what brand of gas is supplied at Maxton? I would like to tune with the brand before I go out there in April, or does it make any difference on the tune? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

AFuel, You can get a rulebook pretty quickly at the website ecta-lsr.com Safety equipment requirements play a big role in how fast you are allowed to go, that includes wheels, tires, axle retention to name a few. You will have a blast!

Comment

I should know this as I bought (invested in?) 5 gallons of it last year. Seems like it was Sunoco, but I'm really not sure. Dave M or Keith? I know that there are several octanes available, too. I bought the good stuff as I had a little of whatever old pump gas that was left in the tank to dilute. The fuel guys were OK with sealing the tank, and that seal is still intact.

Later
              Dan

Comment

VP or Sunoco depending on what octane. the higher stuff is vp.

Comment

wow, i can bring my own fuel (nitro?) but there is a spec gas?
                  thanks for all the info, i'm gonna order a rule book.
                  it sounds like a lot of fun, and just like dragracing it's the people that make it fun.
                  the anti-corprate atmosphere is what really attracts me, not the chance to set a record.
                  we have a little saying......i like camping, i just like to do it at the track where all my friends hang out.
                  Originally posted by TC

Comment

yes fuel for fuel classes, eventt gas for gas classes

Comment

I hope we're getting across that fuel and gas are two completely different classes. Most of the classes (except Diesel) have both a fuel or a gas class. For example, if I want to run the Camaro with the aero stuff in place (no belly pan), it runs E/CGALT - E (engine displacement class)/C (classic body class) G (gasoline) ALT (altered, which accommodates the aero). If I pull the aero stuff, it runs in E/CGPRO (production). Now, if I run w/o aero and with N2O, it's E/CF (fuel) PRO. So these are just a few examples - the class structure goes on forever! And the motorcycle classes are even crazier. They have with and without pushrods, 2 and 4 stroke (and Rotary), etc, etc.

Half the fun is finding a class that you think your car can be competitive in then building so that you can get it done there. How about a 350cc motorcycle with a sidecar? Maybe a 2 stroke on top of that? Or a Berkeley with a 1 litre motorcycle engine? There's just no limit.

BTW - the race committee has decided that we will run NO reaction engines at Maxton. But they're welcome at Bonneville! I have NO idea on the safety requirements.

Hope all this helps. I know it's pretty confusing at first, but it sure is FUN
                      Dan

Comment

do like I do , test it on the interstate , 134 mph on I95 entering South Carolina - 1950 Mercury

Comment

Just ask Any of us Maxton Boys and Girls and we will be happy to help out in any way we can.
                          Just remember to ask all the Questions before you fork out alot of Dollars on stuff you may not really need. I myself have learned to build up in Class that way you meet all the requirements. Then again just to make sure you don''t go to overboard and move into a Class you did'nt expect. April is Coming, so get to it!

Comment

Pay attetion to your tune like Dan said. I've never done any lsr but some of the road courses we race on have some pretty long straights. The longer we go straight, the richer we make it. generally speaking.

I'm sure there are lots of people willing to give advise on this.
                            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                            X