v8 into a Pinto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v8 into a Pinto

Anyone ever put a v8 in pinto? What engine mounts did you use?

Re: v8 into a Pinto

Once upon a time I helped build a Pinto. It was a mild street car at first and ended up running Super Gas in the mid-80's.

I remember using some Mustang II parts for the first Windsor motor, but after the tube chassis, we just used a plate to put a Cleveland and a Powerglide in.

I also think Hooker made a kit for it once.
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Oooooohhh!!! V-8 Pintos! Me likey!

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

HOLY RESIZE BATMAN!!!!!

Comment

What year Pinto? From, I think, 1974 when the Mustang II came out, both use the same basic floor pan. IIRC, it was 1975 when a MII could be had with a 302. I don't know how much luck you'll have to check a MII with a 302 to see if the parts would on a Pinto.

I had a 80 Pinto with a 4 cyl and 4 spd That I was going to put a 302 into. I decided not to because it looked like the engine would have to be too far forward making it nose heavy. I was thinking it wouldn't be too well of a balanced car for decent handling.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

When we did my brother's 76 wagon back around 1980ish, he just bought OEM Mustang II mounts from the same year vehicle from the dealer. I believe there were some minor mods needed to make them go, but since it was almost 30 years ago, I don't recall the details. You would have to find used or NOS ones now if you want to go that route.

I can check with my brother to see if he remembers if you want to pursue that method.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

1974 WAGON, Hooker makes mount adapters for a 1971-73 not sure if they will work on a 1974. I dont know what was changed between the years.

Comment

IIRC you can use cobra 2 (that is mustang 2) mounts and the double hump (rear sump) pan. Like everyone else remotely involved in a project like this it was the '80's and we were doing our best to emulate Jeff Spicoli while stuffing small blocks into Vegas and Pintos so it's all a little hazy now. :P

Comment

The 74-up chassis had some changes that were mirrored in the Mustang II intro in 1974, IIRC. So I don't think that a swap kit made for 71-73 would go, not as a direct fit anyway.

Pan should be a front sump, same as the other Ford passenger cars of that era.

cheers
                  Ed N.

Comment

Thats what I was affraid of, 1974 didnt have a v8 in a MII so I'm not sure what they changed for the 1975 models. Unfortunatly my catalog at work only goes back to 1980 at work and the Microshit is missing also.

Comment

If I have a few minutes tomorrow I can look up the OEM engine and frame mount pieces for the Pintos and Pintos in disguise from around those years, and see what I can figure out. We have the fiche cards still, a bit scratched up but readable.

Send me a p.m. as a reminder, I tend to forget stuff these days. ;D

cheers
                      Ed N.

Comment

Very cool. Not enough V8 Pintos still running around.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There's a guy on the FordFE forum that has one - nice factory looking install, I can't recall what year it is however.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Mike get with v8 pinto on land raceing .com.
                            I think he still drves one.
                            terry

Comment

Don Hardy use to carry pinto/vega parts.Headers mounts,etc.
                              terry

Comment

Working...
                              X