No announcement yet.

v8 into a Pinto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's an old topic....was searching for info & found this topic - joined.
    My fist car in the early 70s was a 72 Pinto. Drove it home, pulled the drive train & replaced with a 302w etc.
    Car got rear ended (and didn't blow up) so built a 2nd one.Body guy thought it was "funny" and installed an extra set of back lights.

Had a 3rd one after that. A 76 - didn't get the chance to V8 it.

Jump forward ....my present car. 1972 BOSS 302

Last edited by B2Pinto; November 2, 2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Through the 70s (+) I think it was Holman & moody that made a swap kit for the early Pintos. Came with engine frame mounts, headers (forget what, if anything else).
      Headers looked like this:

Headman made swap headers as well. Here is a NOS set I picked up a while ago. (I think maybe for 351w - have yet to measure to be sure)

I also have another set , for sure for 302w. They were on an engine that was started in the guys shop. Never on the road.

The Headman Headers (no longer made) require front engine mounts.

Comment

I do not have the Hooker swap headers. However, I have a set of old JR Headers that were originally built for my car (made changes so no longer will work)
        The Hookers were made the same way. Back 2 tubes on each side go through the inner fenders. Front 2 go under the cross member.

Comment

I have seen the forward facing headers and manifolds on he early Pintos. No room to go backward like most cars?
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Best motor mounts I've found that work well. I also found it best to fab the frame mounts to / for each car.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I have seen the forward facing headers and manifolds on he early Pintos. No room to go backward like most cars?
              I have seen pictures of 74^ cars with headers snaking by "normally". Tight. The 74^ cars have more room. Wider. Different trans tunnels. No room on 71 - 73 cars, on the left side.

Comment

On my B2 car I made my own motor mounts. Semi solid. Hope the mid mounts will be "the cure" for the mains on a flat plain. You can see the small space on the left side.

Comment

Engine compartment has gone through changes....

Comment

Those are some crazy headers, and looks like five pounds of "stuff" in a one pound bag. Those are some nice pintos.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

May want to PM pintoboy77...Greg has one of the cleanest installs I've ever seen!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have a set of vintage JR headers for sale if anyone is looking. They are in good shape. Part # 5603 2 1/8 primary and 3 1/2 collectors. 785-577-5542

Comment

On my brother's 76 swap he had a local guy do a set of custom headers, just short of what would typically be called a mid-length header. They were a tight squeeze, but tucked in with no cutting from what I can recall.

cheers
                          Ed
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                          X