roller cam 454 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: roller cam 454 question

Yap, and I wouldn't run one of those either. Call me old fashion, but the less parts something has, the less things that can go wrong with it, and the better off you are.

Personally I feel picking the right cam button depends on the type of timing cover you have. Some aluminum covers just don't have the clearance to run a needle bearing type cam buttons. And I'm not sure if I'd want a steel cam button riding against an aluminum cover anyways. I'm sure that the cam button over time will cut into the aluminum. Also same goes for running an aluminum cam button against a steel cover. Which also brings up the fact that you don't want to use a cheap stamped steel timing cover, because the forces on the camshaft pushing against the steel cover will cause it to flex, thus allowing the camshaft to move more than it's suppose to. And even nylon cam buttons will wear, but at least in their case the wear happens to the button and not the timing cover.

I guess anyway you look at it, they are going to wear out and your going to have to change them. But for me, I'll stick with the solid ones. ;)

Peace Out, TC

Comment

Fair enough. ..and I have nothing against the simplicity of the nylon.

(Also, on the topic of me using a button with a flat tappet, I should have added that even though a button isn't required, I still had wear marks on my timing cover from the button touching it.
      From memory, I set up the cam end-play with about 0.003".)

Comment

Roller, Alum, Nylon they all work.

The roller was the first picture I found. :o

Comment

I ordered a nylon one and the associated hardware today. Thanks alot guys

Comment

Working...
          X