Slant six making me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slant six making me nuts

Im trying to help a friend with a 72 Duster with a slant six and a holley 1920 one barrell(stock and slow).
    Anyhow the car wont idle good, the carb has been rebuilt twice it was cleaned in solvent by me and a friend that used to be a Dodge mechanic, the float set properly with the little gauge included in the kit, fuel pump and filter are new and working. If I take out the idle screw and squirt carb cleaner in there in comes out of the idle air bleed so I think the idle circut is clean.It will start up run well for a few minutes and then start to die and then stall like its out of gas but then will start back up and do the same.Is there something on this car im missing ? I dont have much experiance with these motors or these cars.Is there a vent someplace that might be clogged ? Could it still be the carb?
    Thanks fellas!

Re: Slant six making me nuts

i would start by checking for vacuum leaks along the intake at the head

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
      i would start by checking for vacuum leaks along the intake at the head
      x2.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Is there a spot on these manifolds that tends to crack or is prone to leaking?

Comment

i found a cracked runner on my exaust manifold that i am still in the process of swapping out. hahahaha im slow iwth no motivation right now but still hope to have it runing before the bs fest at bears.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
            Im trying to help a friend with a 72 Duster with a slant six and a holley 1920 one barrell(stock and slow).
            Anyhow the car wont idle good, the carb has been rebuilt twice it was cleaned in solvent by me and a friend that used to be a Dodge mechanic, the float set properly with the little gauge included in the kit, fuel pump and filter are new and working. If I take out the idle screw and squirt carb cleaner in there in comes out of the idle air bleed so I think the idle circut is clean.It will start up run well for a few minutes and then start to die and then stall like its out of gas but then will start back up and do the same.Is there something on this car im missing ? I dont have much experiance with these motors or these cars.Is there a vent someplace that might be clogged ? Could it still be the carb?
            Thanks fellas!
            spart box is on the drivers fender..
            run a jumper ground wire and see if it goes away..
            grangmas 74 idled like poo..
            and it was a bad ground..

Comment

An old guy once told me that 90-percent of all fuel problems are electrical. I have yet to prove him wrong. Check and make sure the coil isn't dead. A dying coil will do weird things, like stop working when it gets hot.

For the other 10-percent, check your fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel lines. If the car is behaving like it's running out of gas, it probably is. I like a clear fuel filter inline in front of the carb, specifically to diagnose a fuel problem as being in the carb, or being between the carb and the fuel tank. What are the fuel lines like on the car? Could the pickup be plugged in the tank? (I've seen that happen... not enough to make the car run, but enough to fill the bowl when it's cranking, but not enough to keep it fed) Could the lines themselves be plugged with rust? I've seen that, too. One nice big flake blocking a fitting from the inside of a fuel line that sat empty for 20 years.

-Brad

Comment

what's the dwell ?

Comment

Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump?

I would replace the condenser as a preventive measure. Bad condensers can cause weird issues as I recall. It's been ages since I've touched anything with points though.

Comment

better yet - pertronix that bad boy

Comment

jeez i forgot about this,he replaced the points, condensor,voltage regulator,ballast resistor and got a new carb from NAPA.The car runs now but not perfect but hes driving it around and leaving me alone ;D.

Comment

dwell is critical - sets coil saturation time - try setting it at 16 dgrees

Comment

Get a distributor from a later model slant6 with electronic ign. and use a GM 4pin module, wiring is on the internet or I can send it to you. Poor mans pertronix!

Comment

Working...
                          X