Mid 80's 3/4 ton Suburban front wheel seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 80's 3/4 ton Suburban front wheel seals

I am trying to install new rotors on the spindles I picked up from the junkyard. They came off a 1984 Chevy Suburban- 3/4 ton. The rotors I bought off Rock Auto have the rear bearing so shallow into the bore that they seal won't go all the way in without contacting the bearing cone. If I seat the seal, it sticks out around 1/8" and rubs the bearing cone (a lot). I have bought a rotor from Advance and another AC Delco from Rock to verify that all the rotors are machined the same. The seal I am using is a National that is listed by all parts stores for use here. The bearings are also listed as the same at all auto parts stores. Anyone have this problem or ever put together a mid 80's 3/4 ton Chevy front end that can shed some light here? Is there some sort of seal retainer that I am missing? Thanks for any help.

I have test fit the rotors on the spindles without the seals and they work fine if I could just get the seals in...
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

if it is all correct.. try finding a thin versus thick. Other versions.
    race width, seal width etc.
    maybe the 3/4 declaration is a half ton something in the mix.

the only out loud version of mix and matching by factory that I recall is the manual tranny on a v8 in a half ton.. it has 3/4 stuff mixed in.

if you mix rear with front, the rear has a quarter gain.
    if it is really bad, machinist level mystery..
    could always refresh a junk yard pile of stuff.

edit:
    think I found it.

half ton cone width is .465
    3/4 ton is .56

ask for half ton for you 3/4.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 19, 2017, 09:14 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
    X