Lower Ball Joint Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Ball Joint Install

Can anyone tell me how to properly install the lower ball joint on my Chevelle. I just can't get them to seat completely I tried a big c clamp to press them in so to speak.....should they be this hard to put in. I put them in the freezer hoping they will shrink enough for me to just slide them in tomorrow morning but not sure if that will work. Anyone got any other ideas or knowledge?

Re: Lower Ball Joint Install

2x4 and a big hammer?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yes they should be hard to put in a ball joint press makes the job easy it is like an over built c clamp
      should be able to rent one at autozone or advance

like this

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
        yes they should be hard to put in a ball joint press makes the job easy it is like an over built c clamp
        should be able to rent one at autozone or advance

like this

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
        Yes what the man said, you won't believe your eyes in how easy it is. And the nice thing about the clamp is you can use it while the A-arm is still in the car. Easy times with that tool. ;)

Comment

Cal - I'd lend you mine if you didn't live as far away from me as you can get and still be in the Continental US - hey, yer smarter than I thought. Finest Harbor Freight Asian iron - stout but HEAVY. Or you can rent one for free from Auto Zone, etc. They work great, as mentioned.

Dan

Comment

I carefully installed them with the appropriate BFH and block of wood..... seated just fine TYVM. ;D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This is what I used last time I did it:

...I think the hand held one would be cheaper to buy if you don't know anyone to borrow one from. Like they mentioned, it's pretty handy to not have to remove the control arm from the car if you don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
                This is what I used last time I did it:

...I think the hand held one would be cheaper to buy if you don't know anyone to borrow one from. Like they mentioned, it's pretty handy to not have to remove the control arm from the car if you don't need to.
                Oh sure, anyone can to it the right way ;D
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I rent and sometimes buy tools from Autozone. When I decide to buy, I always just keep the rental version because they come with a nice carry case. The stuff you buy off the shelf just has a crappy wrapper.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I just did them on my chevelle.....get the tool. It is the only way to do them properly on the car.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      I rent and sometimes buy tools from Autozone. When I decide to buy, I always just keep the rental version because they come with a nice carry case. The stuff you buy off the shelf just has a crappy wrapper.
                      When I worked at autozone I "sold" rental tools that very way for not only the same reason, but in some cases the rental's are of higher quality than the ones on the shelf at the same price. After a couple weeks a new one would show up.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                        When I worked at autozone I "sold" rental tools that very way for not only the same reason, but in some cases the rental's are of higher quality than the ones on the shelf at the same price. After a couple weeks a new one would show up.
                        Yap that's how I got my coil spring compressor, you know the kind that goes up the middle of the spring. I went to rent it at Autozone and the guy said there was a $20 deposit, I said what happens if I don't return it, he said they keep my 20 bucks. So I got a nice almost new spring compressor way cheaper than what it costs.

Comment

Working...
                        X