carb spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb spacers

just want to know what type of spacers your "carb" guys like and what type of material also

for me phenolic and 4- hole on the low rpm stuff
    -vic

Re: carb spacers

I haven't run a carb for years, so we'll see what the Camaro likes. As tall as the new manifold is, I'm guessing that none will be necessary, but we'll see.

Dan

Comment

Ran a 4-hole phenolic spacer on top of my RPM Air Gap on the stroker, but only to clear the vacuum fitting under the secondary fuel bowl for the brake booster. Ran the 4-hole to keep it as clean as possible on the bottom end. Once I got a fitting that fit under the fuel bowl, I got rid of the spacer and the motor felt like it picked up a little down low. But that's just this motor. They can be picky that way. I personally stick to basic street stuff and, with that, I believe picking a manifold that works with the combo and putting the carb on the manifold generally works better. Granted, spacers can help an engine pick up a few ponies, but generally I don't think it's a big deal unless your trying to pick out a pony here and a pony there. For what I've done, I dare say it wouldn't make half a 10th in the quarter. On the dyno, in might make a visible difference on paper, but on the street?????????

Comment

Some engines/intakes are spacer-"needy", some not so much.

Never know until you try one with
        your combo, ideally several styles
        and in different thicknesses.

The Wilson tapered spacers
        have worked very well for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
          Some engines/intakes are spacer-"needy", some not so much.

Never know until you try one with
          your combo, ideally several styles
          and in different thicknesses.

The Wilson tapered spacers
          have worked very well for us.

A man of few words, but words that speak the truth. 8)

Comment

I have rectangular port 990 heads on my 454 with a carb shop 750 holley. I have two bbc intakes and they are both torker 2's. (just my luck)
            I'm poor so I can't afford anything else right now. Would a carb spacer make this intake work any better?

Comment

It really depends. Like was already stated, some combinations benefit, some don't.
              Trial and error is all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                It really depends. Like was already stated, some combinations benefit, some don't.
                Trial and error is all you can do.
                Agree

I figure it's a test and tune issue. If it was me, I'd start with a 1/2 inch spacer and see what happens and work from there. Depending on application, a spacer might improve a little on a torker. The effective range on that manifold is a little narrow, so maybe a little plenum volume could pick up a few. Just a theory. It might be perfectly happy (as happy as can be) with the carb on the manifold. Hard to tell.

But to be honest, I'm not a big fan of Torkers. I realize that's what you've got for now, so I won't mess with you. ;D

I think an RPM would far out perform a Torker in many applications and a Victor Jr. would take care of an RPM's shortcoming as far as higher RPM playing or nitrous applications.
                But again, make the best of what you've got. It's better than a factory iron intake, I reckon. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
                  Ran a 4-hole phenolic spacer on top of my RPM Air Gap on the stroker, but only to clear the vacuum fitting under the secondary fuel bowl for the brake booster. Ran the 4-hole to keep it as clean as possible on the bottom end. Once I got a fitting that fit under the fuel bowl, I got rid of the spacer and the motor felt like it picked up a little down low. But that's just this motor. They can be picky that way. I personally stick to basic street stuff and, with that, I believe picking a manifold that works with the combo and putting the carb on the manifold generally works better. Granted, spacers can help an engine pick up a few ponies, but generally I don't think it's a big deal unless your trying to pick out a pony here and a pony there. For what I've done, I dare say it wouldn't make half a 10th in the quarter. On the dyno, in might make a visible difference on paper, but on the street?????????

Were you running a Dbl pumper Holley on you RPM air gap? I am, and I used that fitting Edlebrock sells and it still wont clear the rear bowl with out the spacer. What fitting did you use? I have been wanting to try it without the spacer.Thanks !

Comment

I have an ancient Edelbrock DP4B on my Charger's 383.I recently had a buddy heli-coil the threads,and when i reinstalled it I added a 4 hole 1 inch spacer beneath the 780 Holley.I think it helped response,but it was sucking air before too.It runs better than it ever has since I've owned it,I'll put it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte

Were you running a Dbl pumper Holley on you RPM air gap? I am, and I used that fitting Edlebrock sells and it still wont clear the rear bowl with out the spacer. What fitting did you use? I have been wanting to try it without the spacer.Thanks !
                      I am using a vac. sec. Holley, which has the same problem. I bought a brass fitting from my local speed shop that was really low profile. I still had to take a grinder to it and it just clears without a spacer. I will try to get a pic of it and post it. If you'd like, I'll try to locate another fitting like mine and get it to you.

Comment

Ran a 4-hole phenolic spacer on top of my RPM Air Gap on the stroker, but only to clear the vacuum fitting under the secondary fuel bowl for the brake booster. Ran the 4-hole to keep it as clean as possible on the bottom end.
                        FYI, I play with Wilson carb spacers on almost every engine I test. I've run them on Air Gaps on small-blocks maybe 10 times. In each case, a four-hole makes no real difference. An open spacer tends to add a bit of top end without hurting the bottom.

That's the only trend I've noticed. Otherwise, spacer design certainly seems to be a trial-and-error deal depending on the engine combo.

Comment

FWIW my experience with spacers although probably more limited than Dave's has been pretty much the same. Never picked anything up with any kind of 4 hole spacer. Open spacers seem to have provided better results for me on both single and dual plane intakes.

Comment

I think tapered combos tend to help single-planes if you want more signal in the midrange, but it really depends.

Keith Wilson talked me into a great test that I've never done, but that I want to...and that we could do here at CJTV. That would be to do PART THROTTLE testing. That could be done on the dyno with a throttle stop or with a very repeatable car and driver at a short road course. Useless for drag racing, but pretty interesting for street/open-track testing.

Comment

Some of Edelbrocks intakes are not Holley friendly when trying to use that vacuum port behind the carb. A spacer is pretty much necessary. I'm using a one inch open with a port which I have facing front. The braided line is to my pcv valve (Yes, I know braided on a vacuum line, but I had leftovers). The big rear port on the Holley is got my brakes and my vacuum guage line. I doubt is does anything for power.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X