No announcement yet.

Inlet Manifold Gasket Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iīm all apart again, installed some new lifters and they are adjusted....go uppy and downy when I turn the motor over.................the others did as well..

But Iīm thinking of removing the cam to look at the lobes....even though the break in oil was metal free.

Iīm losing confidence in me, this ainīt rocket science and Iīve done it before.

Comment

Took all the rockers off and pushrods out again, turned motor to watch the lifters.
      They all went up and down the same amount.

Comment

That would be a good time to lay a straight edge on top of the valves to check if they are the same height
        If not could be a broken valve spring or valve seat popped out sitting crooked and holding a valve open.

Comment

Just wondering whether you put a straight edge along the intake manifold and the cylinder head to check or straightness?

Comment

This motor ran pretty good until I decided to
            swap this cam into it.....everything fitted together
            fine.
            Can't hurt to do the check though.

Comment

What cam is this? Just an odd ball suggestion, could this be a 4/7 swap cam? I dont know how that explains 1/3 other than the intake getting fired in 4 might be enough to blow out the intake on both sides.

When I mentioned the piston of the lifter going up and down its making sure you they are all the way up in the lifter so you have true 0 lash.

Comment

Itīs a regular firing order cam, CompCams 12-212-2.

This will be resolved drastically.......and this thread put to bed īcos Iīm sick of it.

Iīve done what I should have done waaay back when this dumbass idea of a new cam entered my noggin.

Iīve ordered a roller, an Edelbrock sort of stock lifter setup Roller Cam, Lifter and Pushrod Kit 22096.

It doesnīt include the cam retaining plate which if bought off EBay would set me back $54 shipping.

So I ordered it with screws off Summit.........and........theyīre out of stock......didīnt tell until the order was placed.

RockAuto doesnīt list it.

So look out for my Roller Cam install coming to you here......not so soon.

Comment

Just had email from Jegs, estimated shipping
                  date for the roller cam kit.....22nd DECEMBER!!!

The devil f***s in my face again....

Comment

Why not just get the MS9617, they are still 5 bucks on rock auto. just put it on dry or the 1206S3 is 22 bucks on that same page. You definitely wont blow it out. Cant believe its all on the cam.

Comment

[QUOTE=wrenchn2;n1179316]The vacuum gauge was totally useless the needle flying up and down.

if the engine is not RUNNING then manifold vacuum measurements won't mean anything. it will be just a bunch of pulses.

don't try to analyze too many symptoms at once. start with the basics and don't move to the next until the current one is solid.

your test of #1 farting out your finger, eg. cam timing, is good. verify that the distrib rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire at that position.

Comment

manifold gasket: did you mill the head or block when the engine was put together? for valley-intake engines like most V8s machining of either, or substantial head gasket changes, will change the relative position of the ports. for example, if you take metal off the head/deck surface, the intake ports move closer down (towards the crankshaft), and inward, because of the "V".

if that's happened you will have to have the manifold milled to match the new port locations.

Comment

Working...
                        X