Needing to put reverse rotation water pump on old sbc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing to put reverse rotation water pump on old sbc

As the title suggests I need to put a reverse rotation water pump ( serpentine belt ) on my 77 SBC I'm putting in a 87 S10 . The old block has three bolt holes on the left side holding the pump on and they all go into the coolant and the newer water pump only uses the top two leaving the bottom one unused and exposed . Anyone ever try plugging it . And while I've called it a bolt hole it doesn't seem to have threads in it .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

I believe it is a coolant by pass hole.......īcos itīs wet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing_Chain_Cam_TDC.jpg
Views:	4717
Size:	782.9 KB
ID:	1180704

Comment

get the right pump - that is a by-pass. To be even more clear, there are reverse rotation pumps that have that hole.... I know the TBI ones have it (87-93 350 chevy)
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

but not all 87-up engines are reverse rotation. This one is, apparently.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Seems to me that putting the wrong rotation pump causes overheating?
          Never tried, just something I was told/saw... But not sure what I saw..
          Something to consider

Comment

I think that's the point, he wants to find the correct water pump.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

yea third hole is coolant bypass .the waterpump i showed you is the one that is on my v8 s10 with serpintine is reverse rotation and has all 5 holes. no bolt goes in bottom left it is water passage water pump seals it up
              Last edited by fabricatordave; November 22, 2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I got this one off a 87-92 .. Since it looked so ne I grabbed it and didn't notice that it was missing the hole . And now that I have it and am 35 bucks into
                it you know I will figure out how to jump this hurdle . thamks all for the input . Dave that pump would have saved me time and money over the long term but I was able to have this puppy in my hands with no waiting . Thought I was going to really make some progress not having to wait but in all actuality I haven't really touched it since then because of work .I'll let you all know how it turns out .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Well , true to my words , heres how it went down . I found my pull a part receipt which will only be good for store credit but , I know I will be back there . Went down to O'Rielly and they had one in stock $34.23 out the door ....no core charge . Yeah thats just to easy .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

What you get for trying to save $$$...
                    Glad it is working out

Comment

Working...
                    X