alternators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternators?

Okay guys I'm back to working on the 32's alternator and what I've done totally sucks... it will work marginally well but it looks like crap in comparison to one that was mounted next to the block... ( it's on top of the motor )

I'm gonna ask my alternator guy on Monday...but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here...

Does anyone know of a "really" small alternator that is a one or two wire deal? ( the Denso is just a tick to big for the space )

And do we have an electrical guru who can help me sort out the actual requirements of an alternator... I understand the amp draw part... the only thing I'm going to have that's actually taxing it is the cooling fans.. which aren't going to be for the faint of heart...but won't pull more then 40 amp's ... My interest Mechanically is what's happening in there and what's up with the exciter wire Vs single wire?

Thanks...

Keith

Re: alternators?

What about a small GM unit?

Most nowadays put out in excess of 100 amps, and are small and easy to package.

Comment

You can get some pretty small race units over here, you could also look at the imports as they have small units

Comment

I was gonna say import, but some use too many circuits, and some are pcm controlled. I was thinking about ease of install.

Comment

I think the mitsubishi are single wire hook ups

Comment

One hot cable, and a connector with numerous computer control circuits.

Comment

What about a powermaster those are pretty small, if your fans are the largest draw you could get away with a 50A idle. How many fans? if you have a pair could you not switch one out with a higher temp sender so it only comes on when really needed? I know on the TR^ we have an alloy rad with an electric fan and the fan is hardly needed unless your stuck in solid traffic on a real hot day

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
                What about a powermaster those are pretty small, if your fans are the largest draw you could get away with a 50A idle. How many fans? if you have a pair could you not switch one out with a higher temp sender so it only comes on when really needed? I know on the TR^ we have an alloy rad with an electric fan and the fan is hardly needed unless your stuck in solid traffic on a real hot day

Don't those get used by Nascar teams?

Comment

Yeah i think so, alot of the WRC boys use them as well because they are so compact

Comment

Well, there you go.

Comment

and they are still just a tick to big.... I really want it next to the block and inside the frame rail... right now even the Mitsubishi unit won't quite work... If I could mount it higher it would work... but to high and it gets involved with the Header...

If the motor was an inch higher none of this would be an issue, however all of that is Well established...

I might just have to live with a top mounted alternator and use a idler pulley to catch enough of the Water pump to ensure it's always got something making it go around...

Keith

Comment

How bout posting a pic?

Comment

Comment

dam thats tight down there .there is a mjtsu style that the use on john deer tractors that is hardly bigger than a diet coke can ha ha check it out our alternator guy up here can make almost anything one wire they dont charge until you get rpm up first time pulley ratio is important power master(im ducking here comes the cokecan)has info on pulley ratio on there web site

david

Comment

David... Gotta laugh... I was looking at an alternator for a John deere at my guys shop the other day... and that's exactly what I was going to look at on Monday...

If it's just bigger then a coke can it' will fit fine down there... The Camaro has a lower mount set up and has no issues other then I HATE the Freaking Denso's.. they are pure junk...

K

Comment

Working...
                              X