No announcement yet.

Currently it's a 2001 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was going to start a thread then I found one. Picking up where I left off 2 years ago. I don't remember fixing it. I think the light just went back out? Well it's on again time to buy a scanner or a app that reads brake codes. Anyone have a scanner they really like or an app that is known to read brake codes (doesn't have to be free)
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation

Comment

I've been waiting for someone to buy one of those knock-off Chinese computers. Whenever I have issues like you have, I take it to my friend who owns a mechanic shop. I cannot afford the 10k Snap-on wants for the computer and the 2k yearly, update bill that those computers require.

That said, it's still cheaper then a chinese computer to have the code read at a shop - good shops won't require that you pay them to fix it... all of the other 'scanners' I know of only read engine and transmission codes... which doesn't help with brake codes.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        I've been waiting for someone to buy one of those knock-off Chinese computers. Whenever I have issues like you have, I take it to my friend who owns a mechanic shop. I cannot afford the 10k Snap-on wants for the computer and the 2k yearly, update bill that those computers require.

That said, it's still cheaper then a chinese computer to have the code read at a shop - good shops won't require that you pay them to fix it... all of the other 'scanners' I know of only read engine and transmission codes... which doesn't help with brake codes.
        well, you only need the 2K yearly updates if you keep buying new cars. We bought a Modis for 800, got it updated to the latest car which at that time was a 2009. We have not had to pull codes on the 2016 subaru yet.

You can go to Autozone and just get the codes read. All the real expensive can do is make suggestions on things to try, and in all reality, if you get a P1523 code, you just google it and find 20 people who will tell you all about the repair they did..

The Modis had an ABS bleed program we used on the 2003 trailblazer we rewired from the fire damage. It was pretty cool, cycling thru the system and hearing air bleed out. So I guess there is some cool stuff.

So ebaying a modis or versus that has been updated to the last year you have or a little past it will probably get you a good find on something someone replaced.

I was all over on that old post, all I did was pull the ABS fuse and the light stays on but I have no bouncy pedal anymore.
        Last edited by anotheridiot; July 15, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

well, you only need the 2K yearly updates if you keep buying new cars. We bought a Modis for 800, got it updated to the latest car which at that time was a 2009. We have not had to pull codes on the 2016 subaru yet.

You can go to Autozone and just get the codes read. All the real expensive can do is make suggestions on things to try, and in all reality, if you get a P1523 code, you just google it and find 20 people who will tell you all about the repair they did..

The Modis had an ABS bleed program we used on the 2003 trailblazer we rewired from the fire damage. It was pretty cool, cycling thru the system and hearing air bleed out. So I guess there is some cool stuff.

So ebaying a modis or versus that has been updated to the last year you have or a little past it will probably get you a good find on something someone replaced.

I was all over on that old post, all I did was pull the ABS fuse and the light stays on but I have no bouncy pedal anymore.
          you have to pull the 2 plugs from the ABS under the hood to get the light to go off - that's what keeps the cruise control from working (the light on the dash).... do ask me how I know...
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2020, 02:25 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't want to spend 800 on a scanner. I was looking at the ones in the $200 range https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-3211

There are several apps that claim to read them. I would buy one but I have never bought an app before.

Comment

I don't want to spend 800 on a scanner. I was looking at the ones in the $200 range https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-3211

There are several apps that claim to read them. I would buy one but I have never bought an app before.

Comment

Hopefully this is the last. do you leave it off for the traditional above?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

There is currently a solous on ebay to the 11.2 update for 274. would get to 2010 and 2011. Some of them can not be updated any farther, so you would get everything you need for that truck and 10 years after.. Then you get all the bells and whistles, tests, suggestions. The closest I can get to get to 2016 is 749. The biggest problem with the Modis is not being backlighted so its really hard to read if you are outside.

Comment

Working...
                  X