upolstry-interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upolstry-interior

I intend on doing the door panels and dash myself and and not concerned weather or not it look professional and/or perfect...I just want to. I have enough vinal to do the dash and the door panels. The seats are going to go to a shop..but I want to attempt this on my own

My questions are...has anyone attemted do do this in the past? if so...

1. Specific to door panels.....what thickness batting (if any) did you use between the vinal and the door panel (wood/plyboard portion).

2. What type/thickness foam did you use for the dash board...

3. I will not be using a spray gun/compressor to lay the glue so what is the best spray bomb glue to use...I would assume 3M but I want to know what you have used succesfuly....

Thak you for any help....

Joe

Re: upolstry-interior

first, vinyl dye is amazing stuff. ive brought some stuff back to life that i thought was a lost cause. dried and cracked is a whole other problem tho (my datsuns biggest flaw). Try to use oem approved vinyl, the stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper(ebay). if you use some hobby lobby stuff, its going to fade quick.

(rain man) Definitely use 3M definitely, definitely

i commend you on this venture. haggard interiors make cars look cheap and clapped out. post pics of the progress so i can learn from your mistakes and spare my 280zx the learning curve!!

Comment

I have read up a bit and have watched a few how-to's, this is certainly not going to be anything uber fancy, just simple black vinal. I got it from a store that specializes in materials for furniture/marine and auto interior...I guess I may just have to experiment with the foam thickness for the dash...my door panels in bad shape and cant be redyed, they are torn and cracked..so I figured hell...why not give it a shot...probably start next weekend...and I will post pics of my success and/or failures...

Comment

I don't know how in the world you expect to do this unless you know how to sew.

Comment

I have a question along the same lines. I am getting ready to restore the door panels in my SC/360 and they have heat pressed ribs in the vinyl that are glued into cutouts in the carboard backing. Anyone know if the 3M spray bomb glue works better than something like contact cement to glue the ribs back into the cutout cardboard? I haven't started the project because I can't afford to screw it up. Those original SC/360 door panels are like hens teeth to find.....

Comment

3M has General Trim Adhesive and Super Trim Adhesive in spray bombs. The Super Trim Adhesive is what you want, it grabs and holds on like a bulldog.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich
              3M has General Trim Adhesive and Super Trim Adhesive in spray bombs. The Super Trim Adhesive is what you want, it grabs and holds on like a bulldog.
              agreed. 3M rocks. if you want to cheat your own project, buy the cheaper glue. 3M is always more expensive but always reliable.

Comment

go down to South Sixth and hang out at some upholstery shops and see how they do it

really, I learned quite a bit watching a friend work when he had his shop in town here. But he moved to Chicago and makes big bucks and works on really nice cars now...oh well....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have checked out people doing it, wathced it on a video and read...It looks like something I can do...not easily but its worth a shot IMO...to save a couple grand on a car that isnt ever going to be thayt nice anyway...I started today, tearing apart the door panel...inspecting, measuring and making notes....more to come.......

Comment

Where would I pick this stuff up ? Lowes, Home Depot, other ?

Comment

I have a tube of 3M trim adhesive I got from ACE....its strong stuff...even on glass....

Comment

are there any links on the web that show basic upholstery/interior project how-to's?

this would make a cool writeup. Low buck interior dressup!
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I got repop door panels for my car, so I can't help you there. Do yourself a favor, though: once you go to put the door panels on, forget about using the plastic clips. Use velcro. I did, and now I can take my door panels off and on easily.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I too am very very interested in this project. Hopefully soon i can start in on my 280zx dash. Its cracked like the other 99% of them.

My fathers is and has been in the coatings business for a long time. He with lab testing on different types of coatings. From basecoat clearcoat, to vinyl dye's. He's a great source of knowledge. If only i could get him active on here! (not a puter' guy).
                            He is the one who has given me enough confidence in new coatings to even contemplate interior restoration.

how about some "before" pics, its hard to comment on something we cant see. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wikd69
                              Where would I pick this stuff up ? Lowes, Home Depot, other ?
                              most auto body supply stores should have it

Comment

Working...
                              X