X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CNC Plasma table

last bit...

and it works

and now to learn software, but this is it for the thread.
    65RHDEER likes this.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You'll have to add pictures of its first job here.
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

first I'll finish by building a water table

and a shelf.... a caution, I welded it on, but they left this open because you may need to level the table due to uneven surfaces.... now it should stay square, however, leveling is a bit more difficult

still have to fab a drain and figure out how to hold the pan where it belongs,

Comment

the everlast plasma.. strong buy recommendation from me. it kicks tail

Comment

Normally I love watching you work on stuff but the cnc stuff seemed so complicated for a electronics and computer novice .But I was bored so I took a look , after 5 months . The cnc video(s) on the cnc etch sucked me in because I loved the impossible challenge of making pictures with the thing .And in thought how similar it would be to a plasma table . Sorry your experiment didn't work to your satisfaction but hey for your expense I at the minimum know what a stepper motor is and it was a nice relaxing way to spend 3 hours on youtube .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

ready to use, just a few more videos to watch...

waterpan test

fitz

just add water and a program..... which I need to do, I need to cut out a part for my fuel tank on the Corvette
              hauen likes this.

Comment

I am really impressed with your use of laser cut components for your machine. My hat is off to you!

You have probably been asked this before, but have you considered designing a real Z axis and beefing up the machine so it can do 3 axis work in soft materials such as wood, plastic, and aluminum? I can envision version II which could do both plasma cutting, which is low force, but also do machining with a high speed router head that could be swapped out for a plasma torch and vice versa. Machine would require larger motors, stiffer frame, and larger linear slides because of the much higher forces involved. Alternately, design/build a second machine with metal machining capabilities in mind.

BTY, since DraftSight is no longer free I snooped around and found an open source 2D CAD package for cheap. It seems to have all the features of AutoCAD or Draftsight and at $54 with DVD disc it seems to be a bargain. The company is called QCAD and it is Swedish. There are no fees or annual renewals required. The program belongs to the user for life. I should have it in a week or so.

Randy in Everett

Comment

I am really impressed with your use of laser cut components for your machine. My hat is off to you!

You have probably been asked this before, but have you considered designing a real Z axis and beefing up the machine so it can do 3 axis work in soft materials such as wood, plastic, and aluminum? I can envision version II which could do both plasma cutting, which is low force, but also do machining with a high speed router head that could be swapped out for a plasma torch and vice versa. Machine would require larger motors, stiffer frame, and larger linear slides because of the much higher forces involved. Alternately, design/build a second machine with metal machining capabilities in mind.

BTY, since DraftSight is no longer free I snooped around and found an open source 2D CAD package for cheap. It seems to have all the features of AutoCAD or Draftsight and at $54 with DVD disc it seems to be a bargain. The company is called QCAD and it is Swedish. There are no fees or annual renewals required. The program belongs to the user for life. I should have it in a week or so.

Randy in Everett
                  I don't think this machine would be strong enough for a router. As for Z axis - I don't think it's necessary (and it adds weight in the wrong place). Coming soon is an update to the X axis.
                  As for routing, I've never had the need for it... that said, you can buy linear gear tracks for cheap - so building something that follows the later designs shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Software, my opinion is pay others for the stuff I don't like to do, I don't like programming - so paying someone $200 for software that works without headache is worth it....

Comment

What you don't like the taste of his spam?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation

Comment

Son was relating a convo with an ex-buddy... Inflating himself. "I'm buying a CNC machine"
                      My kid, "Oh...what kind?"
                      He, "CCCNNNCCC, You know!"
                      My kid, "What is the CNC running?"
                      Blank face.

Comment

and now with larger cutting surface
                        hauen likes this.

Comment

Working...
                        X