Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    *crickets*
    Looks great to me! I so NEED a plasma table..

I built a cnc router out of plywood from blueprints. I too used Mach 3 for control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0064s.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1225814

A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

starting the wiring process
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This (and 4 of it's friends)

aren't needed
        that's what this is

the picture - the silver bit is the power source, to the right is what gets the signal from the computer, the bit on the left is what processes the information and puts it into stepper motor code..... I know, anyone who know electronics is rolling their eyes.... also there is one bit missing. All works on 24v except the USB - that needs a 5v power source (which is coming).

this stand is part of a circle cutter.... it doesn't work. Let's just leave that there.... however, it'll make a darn nice clamp for my torch win (because I didn't throw it in the scrap bin years ago).

I didn't do much on cars this weekend but I got a solid removal of honey-dos which nets me more car time happy wife, happy life.

Comment

all the pieces for the electronics - now all I need is a box and this can be marked ready to test

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            This (and 4 of it's friends)

I didn't do much on cars this weekend but I got a solid removal of honey-dos which nets me more car time happy wife, happy life.
            Or stated in another way..."happy spouse, happy house!"

Looking great!

Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

a bit more box accomplished and a bit of wiring

Comment

Have you been able to apply power to the stepper motors to see it move through move in both planes or do you have to wait till the steppers are controlled by the smarts?
                Tim
                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                  Have you been able to apply power to the stepper motors to see it move through move in both planes or do you have to wait till the steppers are controlled by the smarts?
                  steppers are controlled by the smarts - there are 4 wires, they power, ground, tell the direction of spinning and how far to turn..... thus they need a computer for that

Comment

so I remember dimensions

box is made, old computer parts are now in the shop... this thing could be ready for power up Sunday.... that said, I'm body lifting the Corvette Sunday so this is not first

one thing I had forgotten about this computer - one of the puppies (yes, years ago) chewed up the keyboard and mouse.... need to replace those - probably will use wireless

Comment

plastic box

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 17, 2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

finished plastic box....

Comment

got further....
                          wired

so far so good, all the correct lights are on

and something I didn't know. Okay, so I ended up buying stepper motor controllers twice... however, it turned out to be the luckiest thing. MACH3 costs about 170, but the new controller (and I didn't realize this when I bought it) came with Mach 3. Instructions, sigh, a nice mix of Chinese and english so there is much work to be done on the software side. That said, it does have standard settings for a lathe, mill or plasma table... it's just a matter of figuring it out.

and yes, I still need to actually mount the switches.... I was more excited to see it it would work

Comment

as part of this (and reluctantly) I'm building a new laptop to run Mach 3. Benefit is it will work on all CNC machines (which will probably include my mill)...

Comment

I love Chinglish instructions. "Please be to introducing bolt to kernel throughing hole A. But first addressing correct sizing for fastening piece to plate plane." [COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

Comment

I've not given up on this, and this has some really good ideas (even if it means changing much)

Comment

Working...
                                X