No announcement yet.

CNC Plasma table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and it's all wrong.... I can make it work, but why? for $1500 to $2000 I can buy something that works.... let's go through what's wrong

1) belts - bad with plasma because sparks melt rubber (who knew?)
    2) weight.... this falls into belt again, but the issue is as the gantry moves back and forth it strips belts
    3) controllers... I tried to cheap out and now have to use a Windows 7 computer.
    4) torches - at this point, I don't know which direction I'm going to go but paying $750 for a torch for a $1000 machine is moronic... for the difference in price I can buy another new machine with the proceeds from selling my current one (though I probably won't because it is useful) That said, an no one talks about it however, a 40 amp machine is barely adequate for sheet metal. What I do will need a 65 amp machine.

anyway.... I'll update when I get my new machine. bright side is all sell without water tables so I can cut off what's there and simply mount the new movement on top. I'm really leaning towards the Langmuir systems because I like the use of only 1 gantry end.... that said, I haven't decided whether or not I'll like the resolution (it isn't as stable).the other issue of the Langmuir is the 2x2 cutting surface.... though 3 side sliding has advantages too

and it's ordered.... strangely Pirate convinced me...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 13, 2019, 08:57 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Damn... I was hoping you would be successful....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Damn... I was hoping you would be successful....
        why don't you think I'm not? not being coy, but I've been pretty clear that I do this stuff for fun and learning. Seeing the fail is almost more important then winning. One thing for sure, there is no winning without learning.

Comment

using everything but the mechanism

Comment

new hotness is on its way and will be here next Tuesday

Comment

a break from Corvette brakes

a box

with bits

my table arrived!!!!

must assemble NOW

this thing is really well designed - and goes together pretty easily if you watch the videos
              2 hours of unpacking and assembly and here it is

I still don't know what computer I'm going to use or even which plasma... I'm sure I'll try the TD but that hunk of utter crap will be lucky if I don't throw it through a shop window... and there aren't windows in the shop... backing down to more sane, its problem is the gun and it's either the machining in the torch or the trigger - I really doubt it's the trigger, but this table allows me to bypass the switch and it'll quickly tell me what's up. I'll detail my troubles with Thermal Dynamics later, but for now, really impressed with this table

Comment

Looks pretty slick, I like the side-hung gantry. My T.D. stuff works great but we're talking a 2K unit, plus a $600 torch, plus a $200 pendant switch. I never got around to finishing my ball-screw drive yet but have about 20 hours on the tracer.

Comment

and violin

Comment

In other news, I can't force myself to spend 2k on a new plasma machine, so I paid $300 for a new torch.... it remains to be seen whether I'll spend 2,300 to fix my plasma problem.... I hate these decisions... next up is a water tray and a shelf to brace the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      I can't force myself to spend .
                      Work-related expense. I was not happy. My old machine that worked for years was fine except I couldn't get consumables for it any more so I bought/installed a new torch which then could barely blow a hole for some reason and being in a pinch I had to pull out the ol' debit card and just get past it. Having done that I expect it will eventually pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Work-related expense. I was not happy. My old machine that worked for years was fine except I couldn't get consumables for it any more so I bought/installed a new torch which then could barely blow a hole for some reason and being in a pinch I had to pull out the ol' debit card and just get past it. Having done that I expect it will eventually pay off.
                        While I never want to spend money, I don't mind spending it if what I buy does what I need it to do. What kills me is when I save and scrimp and the tool is pretty much crap... oh well, it was unsellable with the other torch so even if I have to spend the 2k, I'll get the $300 back selling the machine.... but still, it hurts.

Comment

But you get a nice education for your money..

I loved running the paper pattern 3 head torch. 3" baseplates for towers was easy.. Cuts were smooth. Of course alot of time spent keeping the pexiglass clean from sparks.

Kinda makes me wonder if they improved on it..

Comment

it works, bonus is I know what was wrong with my other table... which I just cut apart to make into a welding bench...

Some notes:
                            the videos are NOT complete.... in fact there's even a cute little fact that isn't true anymore (about the downloading the product key).

of course, if I was on Pirate, I wouldn't mention any of the problems then enjoy watching their misery... that said, I'm sure someone will squeal (looking at you Chris).... but here it goes
                            1) turn your virus programs off
                            2) right click the open icon for the Mach3 program, then click "run as administrator" in the instruction manual buried on the Langmuir site, they explain it this way "Mach 3 is not an elegant program, so it uses all sorts of silly methods to achieve their goals .... if you don't run the program as administrator, it won't work
                            3) REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER.... I think Langmuir gets minus 1 star for this (all the way to 4 stars rather then 5) because they fail to mention that and the program says nothing about rebooting.
                            4) there's a passkey program that is your license you get from Mach3, you put that in the main Mach3 (C:\\Mach3). WHATEVER YOU DO, IF YOU GET A SECOND KEY BECAUSE THE FIRST DIDN'T WORK, DO NOT USE THE program with (1) as Microsoft is want to do when you download a program again. It is looking for the exact name and that (1) is not the exact name.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 25, 2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

so I went out and bought stainless for the water pan

I really need to bolt my jump shear down...

like anything else, the solution requires multiple steps. I will cut it with my plasma, but I need to finish the air cleaner... once that is done, then I need to use my new-to-arrive-plasma to hollow out a spot on the brake so I can put those house jacks in place.... then I can form the pans....

to be continued

Comment

Taiwan plasma

a little assembly, but it's claim to my wallet is it is cnc ready

the blue plug

how does it do?
                                this is a cut with no cleanup

Comment

Working...
                                X