Parts Washer: Solvent vs Water based machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Washer: Solvent vs Water based machines

I have been degreasing parts for years in a tub using gasoline.

I don't really want to spend ~$800 for a Safety Klean machine but don't want to spend ~$200 on junk that doesn't do a good job.

Do water based solvents really do a good job on nasty stuff?

Pros / Cons to each type system.

Any input?

Using standard solvent works, but it doesn't get the nasty stuff off without scraping and scrubbing. Carb cleaner or hot tanks or jet washers do, but they are a whole nuther level of fun.

Also the solvent evaporates and gets dirty. Currently costs me 60 bucks or so to refill my parts washer, usually every year or so. And you have to dispose of the old solvent.

You might want to give the water based stuff a try, and see how it does. At least it's not as expensive to get into, is it?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Funny this subject came up.. Guy was talking about putting a submergable fountain pump in his parts washer as his air is not always up and his wife hates the noise... Told him...electric in a flameable solution could go boom
      He counters that they are sealed
      Well yes they are...for water.. Try water based, might still ruin pump but not likely go boom..

The things some guys try to work around...

Comment

my parts washer has a submersed electric pump in it, no problem.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          my parts washer has a submersed electric pump in it, no problem.
          Fountain pump?
          Or one built for solvent use?

Comment

We have a water based solvent parts cleaner in the Museum shop. I was a skeptic at first. Now that it has been in service for like 5 years(?) I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. Obviously, you do not want to get it in your eyes, but guys there use it frequently without gloves and it does not ruin your hands (at least not like REAL solvent does) has a tank heater and some kind of microbes "eat" up the grease/oil
            See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Fountain pump?
              Or one built for solvent use?
              An in tank automotive fuel pump ought to work, although it would need a LOT of filtering upstream to deal with the sort of nasty things you see in parts washers.

Comment

Working...
              X