Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready for the Tour - FiTech or Holley Sniper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for the Tour - FiTech or Holley Sniper?

I know I am going to aggravate some Purists and hard core Ford folks, but I am considering updating my '73 Mustang 351-4 with either a FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI system. I just can't get the carburetor adjusted correctly and I really want to enjoy driving my Mustang on a daily basis. I think long term this may be the best option for me. I truly would appreciate any "constructive" comments and inputs on this subject. Especially if you have installed either system yourself. Thanks in advance......... (I have also posted this thread on the PT Board to capture all comments.)
    2018 Long Hauler
    1965 Chevy C10 SWB Stepside
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781158065608127/

Originally posted by FREDMAXX View Post
    .... I am considering updating my '73 Mustang 351-4 with either a FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI system. I just can't get the carburetor adjusted correctly.......... )

please dont take this the wrong way, but if you cant even adjust a carb (or havent tried replacing it yet)
    then why would you throw $1000+ at something thats more likely to have driveability problems
    that need to be worked out? i mean, didnt superbuick run one for close to a year or more only
    to sh@tcan it and go back to a carb? if THAT guy couldnt make it work right it doesnt give
    much hope for someone who cant get a carb tuned right. just saying.....

id suggest borrowing a known good carb for a bit if possible, or id risk the $300 for a new
    one against a $1K FI system first.

also dont forget the old adage about 90% of carb problems being in the ignition, check all that stuff first......

just my $0.02, its your car/ your money after all.

my super rowdy 461 with a 292/.595/108 isky in the vette daily drives PERFECT with the much
    trash talked edelbrock 800EPS carb, it might have been a hair 'quicker' with an 850 double pumper
    but it drives supremely now and thats why i continue to run it.
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 9, 2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

To me its all adjustability, or ability to be able to change things. Edelbrock has their deal, with its own learning that even the edelbrock techs cannot get inside, even though there is a computer connector on the wiring harness. "That's for the company that programs this to load data". Eventually, we probably got more power from the edelbrock, but poor poor mileage. We went to the sniper for one simple fact. You can hook up a laptop and actually make changes for your application. I do not buy any of this learning stuff for on the street driving to and from work, but if you are looking at going on a tour with all types of driving and higher miles per hour, a self tune will probably work.

We are currently in the part of Holleys program where we are shortening the pulse of the injectors and it is finally getting some power back.

I don't know about FiTech other than it looks like that is the application Holley tried to copy to the point I thought they were going to buy them out as well.

I guess the point I am trying to make is all this self tuning has really not worked for us. It is very important where you locate the bung for the o2 sensor to get accurate readings. Too far away the mix reads lean and tries to correct with more fuel. But like I said, we really just live in an area where we are always stuck in traffic or stopped at lights, so a long drive might give you a different result with self tuning.

Comment

I’m considering going efi on a 461 Pontiac stroker. I’d like to see some advice on the Holley. Haven’t seen much on the others. Only good things heard about Holley efi

Comment

Working...
        X