Lathe hook up and operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    the fluid drains right back out the clamp hole (that handle on the bench above the live center came from that hole). I'm really leaning towards the drop the whole thing in a bucket of penetrant advice.... let it sit for a week in it.....
    can you just plug it or put the handle back in to keep the penetrant in?

Comment

Just? lol
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

see the handle on the top, front of this center?

I think that may be missing on mine - it is a clamp that keeps the center from moving.....

Comment

It keeps that shaft from moving once you get it moving. Its just going to be some threaded clamp that you will be able to use a bolt in, so unless there is a bottom portion of a handle broken in it, that is an easy fix. IF you cannot look thru that hole and see a thread then that probably happened and is what is keeping it from moving. Maybe you will get lucky and see someone put a set screw in there.

I thought you took that one out like the one on the bottom. Its probably the same thread as that bottom handle, if it is broken in there and you need to do the left handed drill to try to get it out.
            That hollow shaft is going to be a tight fit, so when you drill there is no wobble,

Comment

Nope, still haven't dropped it in a vat of rust mort, but update.

I used to be so concerned about machining metal, (pros, go away, you'll say 'duh'), but all that experience I've had cutting, grinding and welding metal works in the same manner on a lathe. Don't worry about the 'right' carbide tip, don't even worry about setting the initial right speed... all the stuff you've learned before in grinding, heat management, and even angle of attack - it works just about the same here.

tl;dr - you know more about machining then you thought you did..... that doesn't mean expert, but that does mean stop worrying and start cutting.

Comment

I give up for the moment. I went to pick up the pump controller for our pumphouse from the guy who I got the lathe controller - he gave me a schematic to wire it up... yeah, no joy

I found a 'problem' with the jumpers, but that didn't solve the problems.... fortunately, he owns a Mustang. Why fortunately, I'm fixing its rear one of these Sundays and while he's here, .... yeah, house call

Comment

I have a fwd/rev toggle switch, and a another on/off toggle switch. And a pot for speed. Pretty simple stuff....

Click image for larger version

Name:	mill.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	1218580

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    Nope, still haven't dropped it in a vat of rust mort, but update.

I used to be so concerned about machining metal, (pros, go away, you'll say 'duh'), but all that experience I've had cutting, grinding and welding metal works in the same manner on a lathe. Don't worry about the 'right' carbide tip, don't even worry about setting the initial right speed... all the stuff you've learned before in grinding, heat management, and even angle of attack - it works just about the same here.

tl;dr - you know more about machining then you thought you did..... that doesn't mean expert, but that does mean stop worrying and start cutting.
                    Lathes are fun when you are cutting soft material and have a nice sharp bit and your cuttings are just one continuous spring. Get a little frustrated with the steel and only getting to take off about .005 per pass.

Eventually it gets to the point of points. Keeping your cutters sharp or knowing how to sharpen them. Got a couple 20.00 sets of bits off Amazon, I will see how they do. I got a cute little old punch press I am trying to make a pullmax out of, so I get to try to make a 1/2 inch die and flanging tool next. I will see how these cutters work.

Comment

• nice guys, those folks at Amazon. I bought 5 gallons of evaporust to solve the stuck parts. It didn't arrive, so they sent it again and it arrived. Today the first one arrived, I called Amazon and said "I'll buy it because stuff rusts and this works" they said, just keep it on us. Nice guys those folks at Amazon. 10 gallons for the discounted price of 5 not just that but I have a rebate coupon from Evaporust for $20 back. So this means either it'll work and I'll be awash in rust converter or it doesn't work and I have weedkiller.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• they say 12 hours at 70 degrees.. heat is on, soak is going

Comment

• success..... or brute force... but success

Comment

• Is it freeing up with movement? Success is good!
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• well, just seeing that rusty shaft on something that probably has a .002 tolerance to slide is answering the why part of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X