No announcement yet.

Lathe hook up and operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad I knocked the wheel off before I forced it - it took a bit of effort to get it to move initially, but now it's butter.

I don't know, however, whether this trick will work for the knob that engages the cross slide and taper attachment. That is next up... but at least now it's useful and I can go find a chuck so I can center drill.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I'm glad I knocked the wheel off before I forced it - it took a bit of effort to get it to move initially, but now it's butter.

I don't know, however, whether this trick will work for the knob that engages the cross slide and taper attachment. That is next up... but at least now it's useful and I can go find a chuck so I can center drill.
      I think you are in a great spot now, just need to get that all the way out to really derust that bore and shaft. Even extending the shaft and using some WD-40 as lubricant and some emery, you know, get a 12" long piece of 1" and hand sand around the diameter holding the ends of the 12" length and clean that at least. Then some good rust buster and going in and out should take care of that for another 30 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

I think you are in a great spot now, just need to get that all the way out to really derust that bore and shaft. Even extending the shaft and using some WD-40 as lubricant and some emery, you know, get a 12" long piece of 1" and hand sand around the diameter holding the ends of the 12" length and clean that at least. Then some good rust buster and going in and out should take care of that for another 30 years.
        I already did... extended it, filled it with oil, ran it in and out.... works primo

Comment

• Cool thread.
          What things are a must have on these for features, and if they come in different sizes, what is the min size you'd need for most of the things a petrohead would need.?
          Is there a forum to read up on these .?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
            Cool thread.
            What things are a must have on these for features, and if they come in different sizes, what is the min size you'd need for most of the things a petrohead would need.?
            Is there a forum to read up on these .?
            for me it's the price of the equipment - but anything from a 9x36 table top to a 14x40 (what this lathe is) would be useful... it also depends on the space you have available.

Comment

Working...
            X