Roller Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Lifters

Can an early 350 block be modified to use the later model roller lifters? If it can would this be cheaper than buying new roller lifters? I want a roller cam but I don't know if I want to spend that much money on it.

Re: Roller Lifters

Check this out...

http://competitionproducts.com/prodi...p?number=91164

and this...

https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=746&gid=206

Comment

Those from competition products are pretty resonable. I'm so used to seeing the roller lifters for $400+

Comment

400 I wish LOL :
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

cheaping out on roller lifters does not seem like a good idea
          the stock chevy ones mount with plates and a spider to hold them down
          87 and later including trucks that still used a flat tappet

Comment

you can modify a non roller style block but the lifter bores will be so short that you can hardley use anything bigger than stock because it will lift the tie bars up off the block i would use retrofit rollers imo

Comment

The short answer is yes... I read an article ages ago (which is why this explanation is here rather then the link) and a guy had converted the GM roller to an older block. He tapped holes in so that the spider could attach normally (making sure to seal those holes as they go into the oil passage, and put a cam plate on in the same manner. What was remarkable to me was he didn't machine the lifter valley surface at all to "adapt" to the wishbones to the tops of the lifter bores.... neither did he smooth the front where the cam plate attached, he just used the later timing chain and that was enough to clear the plate and bolts.

The shorter answer is buy an 86 block if you want a mechanical fuel pump or later block and drill the blank out for the fuel pump.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
              X