4.3 into 78 Spitfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.3 into 78 Spitfire

Brother wants me to wire up his 4.3 Vortec engine that he is installing into a 78 Triumph Spitfire. ;D
    Currently has no engine harness, Im not up on newer engine wiring and dont really know wher to start looking. ??? He wants to use the F.I. engine just as it came out of the car. I think he is gonna need to adapt some GM wiring but maybe a wiring kit would be better. Has anybody done a similar swap ?

Re: 4.3 into 78 Spitfire

should have some photo's to post next weekend, he is gonna start on this monday and is itchin to have it running ASAP 8)
    Seems like this should be similar to swaping a late model 350 vortec into an earlier model :

Comment

use a mid 80stbi fullsize truck harness ecm with a v6 .astro van might work also .not sure on ecm placement harness might be to long .i know full size van harness is way to long (ecm under drivers seat) pain to shorten dont ask how i know. is it auto or stick?

Comment

oh is 4.3 stock?

Comment

Yea the 4.3 will be stock to start with , will probably get a chip upgrade, He has a lot of work ahead of him with this project but he has most of the winter months to git er dun. Auto trans but I dont think he has decided wich one.

Comment

i ask because i have a 4.3 in a toyota truck tbi stock harness computer man trans there is no speed sensor for ecm and no park switch sets codes when you drive it with no speed sensor and egr valve trys to work when it is not suposed to because of no park refrence(does not know it is not in gear so runs egr sitting still )

Comment

Originally posted by racincuda
              Brother wants me to wire up his 4.3 Vortec engine that he is installing into a 78 Triumph Spitfire. ;D
              Currently has no engine harness, Im not up on newer engine wiring and dont really know wher to start looking. ??? He wants to use the F.I. engine just as it came out of the car. I think he is gonna need to adapt some GM wiring but maybe a wiring kit would be better. Has anybody done a similar swap ?
              I have a astro van harness and computor for a 4.3 if your interested in it.

Comment

You didn't ask for input on the rear, but what rear end is yo' bro' using? The 4.3 torque will eat the OEM Spitfire rear gears and joints like popcorn. They were weak even with the teeny-tiny torque of the fours and straight sixes.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Jag's that run has a VSS reluctor and sensor setup that can be adapted to the pinion nose ify ou can't fit it in the transmission.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Packard we havent talked about that yet, Got any suggestions ??? got a feeling he will be upgrading soon. more work for bro
                    Do you kno of any really narrow IRS units that we might adapt ? If it wer me I would just settle for a banjo housing and some coil overs held in w/ ladder bars and call it good ;D

Comment

The Spitfire is a really, really narrow rear treadwidth. Nothing OEM comes to mind. The Datsun/Nissan Z-cars would be where I would look first. They were reasonably stout and many had posi.

Comment

I've seen a Corvette Dana 44 adapted onto a Z-car powered by a Buick Turbo6. The Ford 8.8 IRS seams to be a very popular starting point with custom halfshafts.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                        X