Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks fellow carjunkie

Brief note on a fellow junkie helping another junkie

Took the 'Bird (95 LT1 Formula w/6 speed) over to SpiderGearsMan's place this afternoon to assess why I might be having intolerable gear whine. I wanted a second opinion after the installation of 2 ring & pinion gear sets resulted in what can only be described as a wail (my shop installed both a Moser ring & pinion set and then a Motive ring & pinion set with same audible results). I was 'concerned' that the shop might not have the talent to do the installation on the 4th gen F-body's tempermental rear.

SGM and the shop had the same conclusion......substandard quality control of the set most likely due to sourcing from Asia.

It's good to know that junkies are there to help each other ;D
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Re: Thanks fellow carjunkie

I have the same problem, even with the stock gears it had a slight whine, and now with the Moser 373's at about 65mph it whines pretty loud. But above and below that speed it's not to bad. But then Moser did have a note that came with the gears saying that they would have a whine to them. I'm thinking of trying our a set of Richmond's, as I think I read or heard something about Moser gears actually being re-boxed Motive gears, but don't hold me to that.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
      I have the same problem, even with the stock gears it had a slight whine, and now with the Moser 373's at about 65mph it whines pretty loud. But above and below that speed it's not to bad. But then Moser did have a note that came with the gears saying that they would have a whine to them. I'm thinking of trying our a set of Richmond's, as I think I read or heard something about Moser gears actually being re-boxed Motive gears, but don't hold me to that.
      I can vouch for the Richmond's, 3.73s and no problems, no whine.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

That's cool. I have richmond 3.70 gears and no clue when putting them in and they are quiet.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

oem 2 cut gears - sorry I said 4 cut
          AAM PowerDense? Ring and Pinion Gear Sets - AAM utilizes state-of-the-art face hobbing to generate the gear tooth form in a two-cut process. This represents AAM?s latest effort to enhance NVH, durability, quality and reliability of its ring-and-pinion gear sets. The key advantage of a two-cut gear set occurs when the components are being hobbed or generated. Hobbing creates more surface area and equal tooth depth. This produces lower alternating bending stress levels while creating a more even distribution of loading across all of the teeth. The results are reduced levels of NVH and increased durability. Another key advantage of the two-cut process is the use of continuous indexing. In the manufacturing process the gear teeth are generated simultaneously with uniform tooth spacing and no imperfections.

Additionally, the two-cut manufacturing process permits tighter backlash specifications between the gear and the pinion. Backlash is defined as the amount of free play between two gears in their operating positions. The results are reduced heat, NVH, driveline clunk and increased gear set durability. Finally, two-cut manufacturing is an environmentally friendly process. Since the components are dry cut, the presence of a coolant medium at the point of engagement of a tool and a component is eliminated. Without coolant, no mists or smoke are produced.

Comment

The gears in the Moser 12-bolt in the Monte were nice and quiet... until the car pulled a 1.59 60-foot one day. They began whining when I lifted through the traps. Now they whine all the time.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

i have aam 3.73 gears in my 4,430lb 95 caprice. they were quite. went to the track, on a set of m/t drag radials pulled a 1.76 60ft(not bad for a stock 120k motor) now they whine. but the exhaust drone helps to drown it out.

Comment

Working...
              X