Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welders

I am thinking about buying a Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    My primary usage will be sheet metal repair.
    I would also like to use it for frame brackets / gussets / boxing.
    To a lesser extend the ability to do aluminum or tig is appealing.

Any thoughts?

May want to check out the Miller Multmatic 215 all in one....that's the one on our wishlist....
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

the 215 isn't an AC machine so TIG welding aluminum with it would be challenging
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I know that these multi purpose machines aren't as good as dedicated single purpose units.
        Sort of like dirt bikes to me - a street/trail bike isn't as good as a true dirt bike but most of us need a truck to use it off road

So my immediate need is to start doing repair work on my 66 Ford F250 project. This will mostly be sheet metal repair (replacing roof, patch panels in the floor, ....), exhaust system, bracketry and other miscellaneous car crafting activities. I can't see a requirement to weld stuff thicker than 1/4" and on those occasions I do have access to friends that have bigger/better machines as long as the stuff is portable.

I have actually be vacillating between the PowerMig Dual 180 and the PowerMig 210 MP. I realize that both the Aluminum and TIG welding is limited (DC) but again, it might be suitable for my needs if/when I know what those will be. I hadn't planned on buying either add-on kits to do the Aluminum or TIG until I had a need.

So to me, I need a machine that I can turn down low enough to do sheetmetal safely and still do some structural welding.

Comment

Have a Lincoln 125.. Welds bodies great for the kids...me, not so good.. Sunday welds (holy)
          Thicker stuff like 1/8 is fine.. 3/16 and up requires full power
          We mainly use 6011 stick for our frames.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            I know that these multi purpose machines aren't as good as dedicated single purpose units.
            Sort of like dirt bikes to me - a street/trail bike isn't as good as a true dirt bike but most of us need a truck to use it off road

So my immediate need is to start doing repair work on my 66 Ford F250 project. This will mostly be sheet metal repair (replacing roof, patch panels in the floor, ....), exhaust system, bracketry and other miscellaneous car crafting activities. I can't see a requirement to weld stuff thicker than 1/4" and on those occasions I do have access to friends that have bigger/better machines as long as the stuff is portable.

I have actually be vacillating between the PowerMig Dual 180 and the PowerMig 210 MP. I realize that both the Aluminum and TIG welding is limited (DC) but again, it might be suitable for my needs if/when I know what those will be. I hadn't planned on buying either add-on kits to do the Aluminum or TIG until I had a need.

So to me, I need a machine that I can turn down low enough to do sheetmetal safely and still do some structural welding.
            what's interesting is it's not the DC that is the problem, rather it is the inability to create or vary frequency. With that said, there are workarounds - several people have made frequency generators to take a Miller 215 to synchrowave capability without much of a cost... I think they run about $400 built but can be built for a fraction of that...
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

So what about the need to scratch to start the tig. I have been told that contamination on the tungsten is a problem if you touch the pool - so if you have to touch the work to get the torch to start is this going to shorten the life of the tip or contaminate the weld pool?

Comment

IIRC, you do not scratch to start your arc with TIG... hence the variable adjustment on the torch/pedal.... you increase the potential until the arc jumps without touching.... therefore no contamination....
                Last edited by silver_bullet; August 31, 2018, 03:56 AM.
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  IIRC, you do not scratch to start your arc with TIG... hence the variable adjustment on the torch/pedal.... you increase the potential until the arc jumps without touching.... therefore no contamination....
                  I agree - on real TIGs anyway. I haven't looked closely at the Miller BUT the Lincoln 210MP does not have high frequency start - it uses "scratch to start"!
                  I think I have convinced myself to NOT buy a MP style machine and just go with a MIG for now. I am looking very closely at the Miller 211. Seems to have more power than the comparable Lincolns.

Comment

we went from a hobart 175 mig only to a alpha tig 200 inverter acdc machine, finally bought a lincoln precision tig 275 from the Roadster Shop. My son welds more than I do and he does not ever fire up anything but the tig.

My thought is always, well, if I had an all in one and it goes down, I am not welding a rack back together either.

Just how it seemed to work out for us. Now we can weld all the time, but rarely use the mig or smaller tig.

Comment

OK - so I pulled the plug. I am now the proud owner of a Miller Matic 211. Being a bit of a deviant - I really like the color of the machine
                      I hope that this proves to be a good decision and should I find a justifiable need to do TIG, I will by a small SquareWave that does both AC/DC and has high frequency start.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                        OK - so I pulled the plug. I am now the proud owner of a Miller Matic 211. Being a bit of a deviant - I really like the color of the machine
                        I hope that this proves to be a good decision and should I find a justifiable need to do TIG, I will by a small SquareWave that does both AC/DC and has high frequency start.
                        Can we get a full review of the machine when you can? I really appreciate seeing your opinion...
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Patrick - I will be happy to share my experience but it might be a bit. I am working on getting the cab sandblasted before I cut it apart to put the new roof on.
                          At my age, I am really struggling on buying a bunch of tools but the multi-process deals seems like a compromise. If I really find a need for TIG, then a small SquareWave that does both AC / DC and stick seems like a better solution even if it costs more. It will mean two bottles and two carts but it would be a better solution in the long run.

Comment

Thank You Sir!!!
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Hope you like it Allen. Good choice, I think. Of course we expect some photos...........
                              Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 1, 2018, 04:50 AM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X