Gas tanks for the 70' Chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tanks for the 70' Chevelle

So the 70' has a bit of rust on the tank and its been sittin' for a long time with crap gas in it. Should we just yank it out and boil it or get a new one? If we should get a new one, who sells a good sock replacement? Are they a good fit? I know with body panels sometimes the fit sucks. Is this the same with gas tanks? So if I do buy a new one im thinking of sumping it.Seems cheap enough, its kind of cool lookin and under acceleration it seems pretty logical. Is this pretty easy? Its basically just drilling some holes in the new tank and welding it on right?

Re: Gas tanks for the 70' Chevelle

Always best to begin a project w/a new tank, sending unit, min. 1/2" pick-up w/new lines, etc.

There are only 2 primary sources for 99.97% of the repro gas tanks sold in North America.

(Rick's Stainless (& others) sure do make some awesome custom stainless units!)

Again, the guys over at www.chevelles.com have pretty well "scienced" all your Qs out.

With a Chevelle project cranking-up, it's a great resource and library for you. -- HTH

Comment

almost all new tanks are made by american designs or spectra premium autozone advanced auto are your best source(no kidding)

Comment

1Aauto.com has quite a few misc. parts. This is where I plan on getting a new gas tank for my Skylark then having it sumped for fuel injection.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

i was looking .spectra is selling fi tanks for some non fi cars now

Comment

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of looking for a pre-made FI tank, but then again it's a '77 X-body, I'll have to check the part numbers to see if it crosses with a more popular model.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Dont know where you are located,but here in the carolinas,there are several outlets for the parts you are questioning. One place i have got several items from is Hinshawschevelles.com,and a tank runs about 185 for the 70 chevelle.good luck with your project.
              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid

in the carolinas,there are several outlets for the parts you are questioning.

Yep. Ausley's is another terrific parts & resto shop for Chevelles. --

Comment

you could also do a google search for this part.

Comment

Careful sumping tanks as the welding often compromises the internal coating which makes them rust out at the weld seams. I don't know if the normal gas tank shop interior reseal stuff works that well. Rock Valley Antique mades custom EFI tanks out of Stainless steel with a GM TPI pump for a reasonable price and has the dimentions for just about any (they had my '67 skylark and '64 Riviera) plans in house. If you have a semetric rear fill a factory option is the B/D TPI/LT1/L99 body tank from 93-96 or its earlier TBI version with the right pump. If you have the side saddle spare you can use the T-type tank and a side fill could potentially use a El Camino 4.3L EFI tank.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                    X