Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Temp's

Have a SBC 383 stroker 460hp.
    Start engine let run for 10sec. then shut it off, check exhaust headers for heat. #1&#2 are warm to the touch all others are hot as hell. Changed plugs recently, am using NGK UR-4 V-power plugs. Any ideas why the temp difference?
    Help will be welcomed !!!

Did this just start happening after the plug change? 4/6 and 3/5 are normally going to be hotter than the ends just because they are Siamese, but I think we would need to know timing, advance, carburetor, injection, kind of answers. Just sounds like either timing moved or plug wires are off or something is stuck in the fuel delivery. Were the plugs the same or if you changed to NGK were they the same length? I know our first aluminum heads we used regular cast iron plugs which do not even get into the cylinder and it caused all kinds of problems.

Comment

Maybe I should be the idiot anyway have MSD, burned up 3 modules, gas is leaking out of carb (750 QFT) when setting for awhile. Pops bad when first starting but smooths out when bowl get full of gas. Been this way for past 1500 miles or so, have to recheck timing but was 36 total, and have been running these plugs for past couple years.

Comment

Rebuild carb and set float levels first.
        I have no MSD knowledge.

Nick

Comment

I used head gaskets that when I compared them to FelPros were missing coolent holes between the middle cylinders.

Comment

I am not the sharpest knife here, but if its popping while getting hot so quick its the carb problems. I have a big block that glows on 6, but I know the newer cars actually use the temperature sensors to richen and lean the mixture not just turn the fans on, so I dont know if my glowing pipe is rich or lean.

Comment

Am going to rebuild carb, timing ck’s ok, thanks for inputs!

Comment

Working...
              X