Hemi harmonic balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi harmonic balancer

Got under the Hemi/Vette today. Was going to clean off the balancer and mark the timing marks. Well I reached up with a rag and grabbed it and it TURNED!!! What's with that?

most stock balancers are two pieces pressed together with a rubber sleeve between them if just the outside turned.

Comment

Well what I found is, I need to replace the balancer if I want to time the engine and you can't have it spinning around as the rubber ages. Someone somewhere sent me a tip on where to buy a replacement, but of course I lost it.

Anyone help me find a source for a replacement for a 57 Semi 392 harmonic balancer??

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
        Well what I found is, I need to replace the balancer if I want to time the engine and you can't have it spinning around as the rubber ages. Someone somewhere sent me a tip on where to buy a replacement, but of course I lost it.

Anyone help me find a source for a replacement for a 57 Semi 392 harmonic balancer??

Hemi Joel or Squirrel might know...
        Might be able to get yours rebuilt?
        Would not know where tho..

Comment

this place is one that rebuilds them.

The #1 source for new and rebuilt harmonic balancers, Dampers for internal combustion engines. vibration dampers rebuilt to OEM specs. replacement harmonic vibration balancers a

these guys probably have new ones

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks guys I called the damper doctor and will send it down to him this week.

KO

Comment

Or you can use a Mopar 318/340 balancer. You can get them new for about $90 at summit. The hemi keyway is wider so you can mill half of the hemi key narrower, or you can broach a new keyway into the 340 balancer. If you do that, do it so the timing marks line up. If you just mill the key, the timing marks won't line up, so you install a timing tape on the balancer.

Comment

Well the 'Damper Doctor' took care of me, Northern Calif and I'm in north central Oregon. Waiting for the package to show. NOW is there a torque value for putting this back on???

Comment

you don't have the shop manual for the car the engine came from?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No it's a 57 Hemi 392 in my 65 Corvette roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
                      No it's a 57 Hemi 392 in my 65 Corvette roadster.
                      What Squirrel is saying, get a 57 Chrysler book that has the Hemi specs.

Comment

Comment

First of all this engine was built, I'm guessing, from spare parts in a racing shop in the SFO Bay area. It's basically a stock engine according to my chassis dyno run. Well I had a heck of a time pulling the damper off, broke two pullers (made in China). Sent out to the Damper Doctor for rebuild. The install was just as much problem as the removal. Purchased a tap to clean the threads and two longer 3/4x16 bolts to get it back on. After all the pulleys and belts I started it up. Hmmm, the timing marks are in the 2 o'clock position not the 10 o'clock. Well I'll find a cylinder that displays the timing impulses over the pointer on the timing chain cover and fine tune the timing from there.

Comment

Well I found Cyl #2 worked fine. Checked the timing and it was right on the numbers I looked up for the Hemi. 10 deg at idle and 30 max at about 3-4000 rpm. Made me feel good. When I added the Pertronix I couldn't time it because of the wiggly damper. So I pulled the valve cover, turned the engine until both valves where loose, then put a straw into the spark plug hole and found top dead center. Turned the dist until timing light fired. Put all back and started the engine then moved the dist until I guessed at 10 deg at idle. Just using my ears and eyeballs and I got 11 deg at idle and 32 max. I guess I still have the touch at age 75.

Comment

Just an update on the old Hemi?Vette. Engine is running great, just doing some fine tuning. Carbs rebuilt, timing set, etc. Added four link to the solid rear axle as well a coil overs. The front will get coil overs in a couple months. When I put in the new after market seats they were higher so I also added a tilt steering column. Now just waiting for spring!!

Comment

Working...
                              X