Heat Barrier Products - HeatShield Products vs ThermoTec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Barrier Products - HeatShield Products vs ThermoTec

Does anyone one have any personal experience with self-adhesive heat shield barrier products?
    I am looking at HeatShield Products (heat shield mats and lava mats) and ThermoTec (adhesive backed heat barrier)?

I am planning on using it externally on the firewall and floorboards to help reduce the heat transfer into the cabin.

Re: Heat Barrier Products - HeatShield Products vs ThermoTec

Doesn't that stuff normally go internally under the carpet for the same purpose? Why externally?

Comment

I have dynamat extreme internally. The stuff I am talking about is recommended (at least by HeatShield Products) to go externally between the heat sources (engine, headers, mufflers) and the body to keep the heat from warming up the sheet metal to start with. My concern is adhesion - I don't want to be pulling the engine and trans periodically to re-glue / replace the stuff.

Comment

I have some experience (albeit v limited) with a product from the DEI 'Heat and Sound Barrier' line.

With the new motor I'm getting significantly more heat off the the shorty header collector on the passenger side, in the area where the firewall rolls into the floorpan. My first effort was to take some non-adhesive heat shield barrier and put it under the carpet over the hot spot. It made some difference but not as much as I thought.

The next step was to take some of DEIs self-adhesive 'Reflect-a-Cool' radiant heat shield and mount it to the engine side of the firewall and the exterior of the floorpan. The difference was substantial. Not sure of the science, but I suspect because it radiates the heat away from the body steel that much less thermal energy is being transmitted into the car. And I only had to use a little bit of it -- it comes in a one square foot chunk ($10.00) but I only stuck on a piece about 8-in X 6-in.

Haven't had the product on long enough (only a week) to be able to speak to the durability of the adhesive.

Also, don't know if it's made in the USA, but it's an American company. Design Engineering Inc, 604 Moore Rd, Avon Lake, OH.

See http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=28
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

oh, never heard of that stuff. I would have thought dynamat would be enough of a heat barrier by itself.

Comment

Wrong side of the sheetmetal, by the time the interior stuff is working it's already inside the car and you're just spreading it out so its not as noticeable. The external stuff works by putting a highly reflective barrier that reflects most of the IR component of the heat then a high specific heat (ie insulative) material that keeps what heat that does get absorbed by the reflector from making it to the steel body.

My opinion on the adhesive is just as much about the prep work as it is the adhesive. If you don't clean, clean, clean the area of all grease, silicone, and oil it'll never last. Stuff like this tends to delaminate around the edges so I'd get some hard case HVAC tape at the least and more prefferably some sort of mechanical fastener to hold the edges down and count on the adhesive just not to sag in the middle.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
            X