LED Shop Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Shop Lights

I just bought a 10 pack of Sunco SCSHOP10K (48" 40 watt 2 row 5000 kelvin 4100 lumens)
    I am not impressed!

Any recommendations on good lights?
    Any advice on spacing?

As always - THANKS

HyperSelect LED Shop Light, 4FT LED Fixture Garage Light, 35W (100W Eq.), 3800 Lumens, 4000K

I put these up in my shop , very happy with them .

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
      HyperSelect LED Shop Light, 4FT LED Fixture Garage Light, 35W (100W Eq.), 3800 Lumens, 4000K

I put these up in my shop , very happy with them .
      Thanks for the response.

How many did you install?
      What is your square footage?
      What kind of pattern did you use?

Comment

I bought a 4 pack of 36W 4FT LED Utility Shop Lights for Garage BBOUNDER Hanging Lighting Plug in 3600 Lumens 5000k Daylight.

They work nice as a trouble light. I have not hung any yet.

for my 14 foot ceilings above head I have the LUMINOSUM, T8 LED Tube Light 8ft 40W, Single Pin FA8 Base, Clear Cover, Cool White 6000k, Fluorescent Tube Replacement, ETL Certified, 20-Pack

Most of my ballasts were bad anyway so I had to rewire the fixtures, but 6 lamps in a 1000 foot room is like sunlight and there are still 2 old fluorescent fixtures I can still put them in.

Comment

I installed four 8' foot fluorescent light fixtures with 8 of these "Daylight" bulbs in my 2 car garage and it really is like daylight! They also come right on in cold weather. Before that I had one 100 watt bulb right in the middle of my garage.

Shop GE 75-Watt EQ T12 Daylight Single Pin (T12) Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack) in the Tube Light Bulbs department at Lowe's.com. GE’s 75-Watt T12 Daylight Fluorescent bulbs provide very cool, bluish-white light. Their bluish-white light creates a very cool appearance. These bulbs

Comment

I have purchased a pallet of used 2x4 drop ceiling "office space lights" Stiney and I tag teamed on the deal, they ended up less than $10 each.
            I'm converting the fixtures to run ballast bypass 4ft LED tubes from greenlight depot.com...

So far I have 6 of them up and for general lighting - they are fantastic. The plan is to have a dozen or so up flush with the scissor trusses at 12 -15ft off the floor.

I will retrofit several more 2 bulb fixtures to go over work benches on pull chains to use as needed - with them located roughtly 4ft above the work surface, it's like having your own sun.

I've never seen a shop too big, or one with too much light.

Last edited by milner351; September 19, 2018, 12:52 PM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Just installed 9 of these in a 30 x 34 shop with 10' ceilings: Keystone LED Light Bulb — 4400 Lumens, Model# GGL-50

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9033_200679033

They are very bright. I liked them so much I am removing my H.O. Fluorescent lights and installing these LED's. Plus they can be flush mounted, so no holding dust above.

I will make you a great deal on my existing shop lights if you come up here and get them...
              Last edited by htrdharley; September 20, 2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

the lumen from the LED is really a big deal - the higher the number the whiter and more intense the light..... it is a fine line because below about 4000 it's really not worth the time to install because you won't be able to read fine lines.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Update!

I went to a commercial lighting store here and they quoted me $1,600 for 12 fixtures that put out 6500 lumens each for a total of 78,000 lumens!
                  So, being the cheap SOB that I am, I reconsidered the suncos! I bought 20 (4100 lumens ~ 82,000) for $500.

I am installing 16 of them to provide general area lighting and then installing additional lights above benches and tables as needed.

This getting old SUCKS - I never need this much illumination when I was younger!

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    the lumen from the LED is really a big deal - the higher the number the whiter and more intense the light..... it is a fine line because below about 4000 it's really not worth the time to install because you won't be able to read fine lines.
                    The ones I bought are 5000 kelvins which they call "daylight".
                    I am hoping that the lumens are cumulative - in that one fixture putting out 8200 lumens of 5000 kelvin light is equivalent to 2 fixtures putting out 4100 lumens of 5000 kelivin light.
                    IF not, I have just wasted another $500 being cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Thanks for the response.

How many did you install?
                      What is your square footage?
                      What kind of pattern did you use?
                      I have 420 sq ft , I installed 5 fixtures , 2 fixtures end to end down both sides and 1 across the end wall over the bench . These cost me approx $200 cdn.

I hope your purchase works for you .

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

The ones I bought are 5000 kelvins which they call "daylight".
                        I am hoping that the lumens are cumulative - in that one fixture putting out 8200 lumens of 5000 kelvin light is equivalent to 2 fixtures putting out 4100 lumens of 5000 kelivin light.
                        IF not, I have just wasted another $500 being cheap!
                        You may have found a solution for me. Let us know how they work out, please.
                        Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 20, 2018, 07:33 PM.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          You may have found a solution for me. Let us know how they work out, please.
                          OK, so another update
                          My shop is 32 x 35 block - so it really is something like 30.5 x 33.5 with 104" (8' 8') high walls.
                          I ended up installing 16 for general lighting - 4 rows of 4
                          the rows run length wise (33.5) and are spaced 3.5 feet from the wall and 3.5 feet between the fixtures (end to end). They are linkable and come with cords and pull string switches.
                          the rows are 7 feet apart and start 3.5 feet from the big doors and go towards the back of the shop - this doesn't completely fill the space (28 feet vs 30.5 feet) but along the back wall is where my benches are and I have additional lights dedicated above those.

As usual with me - this might be a little overkill! The shop is now very well lit. With the pull chain switches - I can turn off and on each light independently to allow proper lighting in the area I am working without sending a beacon to lifeforms in other galaxies.

Comment

A point to suggest, take it for what you will.... I haven't done this yet, but will eventually be putting up some side lighting around the perimeter of the shop.... placing them in the corners between wall and ceilings at about a 30 degree angle just like we had in collision repair school....
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I will try to remember your advise upon my next lighting project.

Comment

Working...
                              X