No announcement yet.

LED Shop Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking in my shop I may just light the primary maintenance/build bay with a lot of lumens.......and use traditional bulb and socket lighting in the other two bays. I had a similar setup in my garage at the lake house.....worked pretty well and kept the electric bill at bay......I'll have a better idea of what I actually need when it's built and I see what the windows provide free of charge. I'm really undecided as to lighting above the lift. I like your pull chain idea Allen, but with 12' ceilings that might not work so well. Maybe switching them in 3-fixture segments or something similar.....
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      ... I like your pull chain idea Allen, but with 12' ceilings that might not work so well...
      Willow extended the pull chains so she could reach them - you might be able to do the same with yours.
      Also, at 12' you may want to look into "High Bay" lights. They supposedly are used in 15' - 20' ceilings but some might be well suited at 12'.

Comment

On the pull chains, I have vaulted ceilings in my lake house and the remotes got hit by lightning, so i used an old trick I actually saw first on the John Wayne movie The Shootist. The final scene is in a bar and the bartender used a long rod to turn a switch on the ceiling fans. So I got a two foot wood dowel and notched it for the chain, works perfect.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Our work area under roof has 2-2 bulb fixtures.. Kid put them up.. I wired them to turn on when plugged into a cord.. Comes down a post.. Not sure how high the ceiling is but it is pretty tall.. 12-14 ft. Dad wanted to get his camper in there..
          Not sure if specifics but they come on during very cold days plenty of light to brighten the whole shop 24X46.
          Then we have an LED "security" light that gets clamped to the forks on the forklift and have more light outside the building. That was $45 online. Cake sized thing with an eye for darkness/light.

Comment

they still consider some hi bay and low bay. We just got a new pack of trouble lights from amazon, basically 4 foot led fluorescent fixtures since all the battery ones are shit. Just get the 8 foot bulbs from amazon too, there about 10 bucks a piece if you buy 25. You just remove the ballast and run the black to one socket and the white to the other. Put two of those up and it puts the fluorescent bulbs to shame.

Comment

With my crappy eyes I need LOTS of light and the LED fixtures are doing a great job. As my old fluorescents fail I'm converting them as anotheridiot suggested and they work great.

Dan

Comment

Keep in mind that shop lights are not for lighting up the whole shop. They are called shop lights because they were originally designed to be used in shops for task lighting, like over benches and machines.
                Do yourself a favor and skip the el-cheapo stuff. If it's your workshop and it's brand new and you intend to be in there working on projects and things, get yourself some GOOD lights - It doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg.
                Last edited by RobertTailor; April 19, 2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Amen to that! I've been cheaping out on lighting for a while, and my eyes don't thank me now. You should just skip the first third of the price spectrum, and then choose from what's left; otherwise, be prepared to get glasses (or change them for more potent ones) in a couple years...

Comment

I had an electrician who is a good friend come over to my garage and rewire my existing 8' florescent light fixtures for LED bulbs and after he was finished which only took him about 1 hour and that was only because my ceilings in the garage are 13 feet in height so my 10' latter came in handy.

The difference at night is really incredible and now you can see an ant walking across the floor.
                    Beat part is they use less electricity and when I asked my friend how long the bulbs last he told me I would be dead before I ever had to change them.

I originally thought I would have to change all of the fixtures on the ceilings which meant buying six new 8' two bulb fixtures but he just rewired the existing fixtures so I only had to purchase new LED bulbs.

I wish I had done this 5 years ago because it is worth every penny.

Jimbo

Nostalgic Racing Decals. Racing decals and more form the past

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
                      I wish I had done this 5 years ago because it is worth every penny.
                      My experience too.

Comment

Odd question I know. But ever since work have changed lights to led units, picking up broadcast radio stations has been an issue. Anyone having that problem in their garage /shop?

Comment

My shop is a metal building and radio reception has always been an issue. I threaded a dipole antenna thru the wall to the outside and that seems to work the best though it's still not great. I haven't noticed any difference with the LED lights.

Dan

Comment

That's a bummer about the Sunco lights. I had a similar letdown with a different brand a while back. I switched to Philips LED tubes, and they've been fantastic. They offer a great balance of brightness and energy efficiency. For spacing, it really depends on what you're lighting. In my workshop, I placed them about 4 feet apart for even coverage without being too harsh.

For a broad range of options and some really detailed reviews, check out leds.to. It's a resource site for all kinds of LED lights, including the kind you're looking for. I found their reviews pretty straightforward and helpful in comparing different models and brands.​
                            Last edited by bigsapper; February 7, 2024, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Indeed, Cree and Lithonia Lighting are reputable brands known for their quality products in the lighting industry. Whether you're upgrading your home or office lighting, choosing the right brand is essential for ensuring optimal performance and durability. However, navigating the wide range of options available can be overwhelming without proper guidance. That's where snappower customer service comes in. Their team of professionals can provide expert consulting to help you make informed decisions tailored to your specific lighting needs.
                              Last edited by danielsk; March 24, 2024, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X