Jeep T case help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep T case help

So I'm starting to look for parts for a t case swap. The victim is a 98 jeep grand cherokee with the dreaded 249 t case. trans is the 42re. I want to swap in a 242 t case, and I found one out of a 97 GC. Does anyone know if this will be a direct swap? I've googled it till I can't see straight, and all I come up with is how to swap the input shafts ... where are the jeep/mopar guru's?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

231, 242, and 249's are not exactly the same but they share similar dimensions and hard parts. If you're using a 242 out of a ZJ then get the driveshafts to go with it. If you're using a 242 out of an XJ the front driveshaft 'should' interchange, but the rear may have to be cut and refitted.

A guy on Jeep Forum did a write up a while back on the 249-242 swap. He covers all of the bases on what's needed to do it...
    https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...-np242-685644/

The most popular swap I've seen for ZJ's, YJ's & TJ's when I worked in auto salvage was swapping an AW4 in place of 42/44R's in ZJ's and 32R's in YJ's & TJ's. The AW4 trans computer and wiring are required to make it work. 42RE to AW4 Swap: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...dii-zj-382739/
    Last edited by tardis454; September 23, 2018, 05:50 AM.

Comment

So if I'm understanding that write up correctly, all I will need to make the 242 work is the rear drive shaft from the 97?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
        So if I'm understanding that write up correctly, all I will need to make the 242 work is the rear drive shaft from the 97?
        The 249 front shaft will probably work but it uses a CV joint at the axle and u-joint at the case. 242 front shafts use u-joints at the axle and a u-joints the case. The CV's at the axle go bad and the only place I know of that can repair them is a driveshaft shop. This is why I suggest getting both driveshafts. It keeps the swap simple (no cutting), and if you ever have to replace front driveshaft universals you can buy them off the shelf.

Comment

Ok, so I was able to pick up both complete shafts off of craigs for $75.

Comment

So for a grand total of $163, I was able to pick up a 242 tcase, both front and rear drive shafts and a shifter bezel for the 242. Are these things/parts/etc really this inexpensive? or did I find a decent deal? A local jeep shop wanted $250 for a used 249 ... and only give a 30 day warranty. A rebuilt coupler for a 249 is 400 alone ....

Comment

Off-roading.......as expensive or cheap as you want it to be, lol. You did good.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

242's are still fairly plentiful, and yes you did real good on the total cost.

Comment

I was really expecting to spend close to 500 on this thing .... wow

Comment

Working...
                  X