Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6V+ground to 12V-ground...how to hookup wiper motor, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V+ground to 12V-ground...how to hookup wiper motor, etc?

so lucky me, i got the LAST YEAR before they went to a 12V negative ground.
    i know about the "runtz" (resistors) for dash, etc... but what about the wiper motor,
    do i hook up same as is for 6V+ground? im going to 12V-ground the whole car,
    anyone got any advice for me? thanks in advange, fellow car freaks.

it's electric? wow, not many of those in the 6 volt era.

Try it at 12v with negative ground, for a short time, see what it does.

If you measure the current draw, you can figure out how much resistance it would need, and how many watts the resistor would need to be, to drop the supply to 6v.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Is it really that important? We used to throw 48 volts at a 12volt starter to get it to spin faster on the dragster. I can understand the gauges and lightweight stuff, but a wiper motor is pretty stout

Comment

If you hook them up direct, they will run twice as fast AND backwards.

Backwards not not such an issue on wipers. Twice as fast may be an issue, depending on their original speed. Park function may be goofy. A simple ballast resistor like on molar ignition is cheap and effective.

Volkswagen was still using 6volt negative ground in ‘66, so converting is still relatively common in the VW world. We just let the stock starter alone, it works for years and simply substitute the next model year for a replacement when it does burn out.

maybe try that with the wiper motor? Look up the next year for a replacement? Might be cheaper than we imagine?
        Last edited by STINEY; September 30, 2018, 10:31 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have used these in circuits with success....: https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail..._Rheostat.html Click image for larger version

Name:	3112682c.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1216821
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Does a newer model of the same car have a 12v- wiper motor that would fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
              Does a newer model of the same car have a 12v- wiper motor that would fit?
              We thought you would know as it is. Mid 50's Mopar...

Comment

I've never done it, but I would think that the 12v 1956 stuff would swap right into the 55, since they are the basically the same car.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                  so lucky me, i got the LAST YEAR before they went to a 12V negative ground.
                  i know about the "runtz" (resistors) for dash, etc... but what about the wiper motor,
                  do i hook up same as is for 6V+ground? im going to 12V-ground the whole car,
                  anyone got any advice for me? thanks in advange, fellow car freaks.
                  If I'm reading this right you want to use the 6 volt wiper on 12 volts. I would take and hook a battery to it and see how it operated. It should make it twice as fast as it was on 6 volts.
                  Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Working...
                  X