Welder set up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder set up!

I got a few new (to me) toys! A guy up the road was having a retirement sale closing his custom motorcycle shop.

went to pick up a welding table and ended up getting it, a vice and drum roll please!...... a Miller Syncrowave 180SD! It was not cheap but it was a really good deal. I have a 240v plug in my shop but I am pretty sure it only 30 amp. Looks like 10 ga. Wire. I really want to play with it but I don't want to fry it or burn down my shop.

What amp rating do I need, what size wire? I plan on 2 new plugs one by the door and one at the back were the welding table will go. The long pull will be 30-40 feet by the time I go up over and down.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

get the serial number of the welder, go to the miller web site, download the manual for the machine.

You'll need a 60 amp feed for this thing....have fun! I did mine last winter when I got my 15 year old 180SD.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks Jim!

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

you should be able to weld sheet metal. maybe up to 1/8th inch with 30 amps or power feeding the machine. Its all linear, so low load, low amp draw. If you have an amp probe, just check the draw and see how high you can go and start playing. You will not hurt the machine, you will just blow your breaker if the machine asks for too much. Find the spot and turn your out put to whatever that is, probably 50%

Comment

these TIG/stick machines have a knob calibrated in amps, not percent

although the later ones have a digital readout. We don't know how old Russell's is.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            these TIG/stick machines have a knob calibrated in amps, not percent

although the later ones have a digital readout. We don't know how old Russell's is.
            Either way its a percent of output. You plug a machine in and turn it on its drawing 5-10 amps. You strike an arc and the amps the machine draws is equal to the output of the machine. If all someone is welding is .040 sheet metal, using a 500 amp machine is still only going to draw 20 amps.

Yes, it is common practice when Tig welding to leave the machine at 100% and control output with the pedal, but you turn down the output value and you control how much the machine is going to draw from the power source and the pedal is just getting to 100% of that number.
            Last edited by anotheridiot; October 8, 2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

I am not sure how old it is. I am not in a big hurry to get it going, I don't have any pressing welding projects.

Right now on the list is checking out the mustang to make sure it good for a 300 mile round trip for a car show this weekend. I also hope to hook up the power to the lumbar support in the seats, to make the trip more conformable there were no wires in the car, I wish I would have pulled that harness from the 89.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_368164900590761.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1217559Picture, helmet not included
                Last edited by Russell; October 8, 2018, 06:33 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

​error
                  Last edited by Russell; October 8, 2018, 06:34 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

you might be able to get 100 amps out of it with a 30 amp breaker. Definitely enough to do thinner metal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	current.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1217569
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

I am just trying to clear up some confusion about the draw of the machine. Look, you have a 40 horsepower air compressor, its gonna draw 100 amps when it starts. If you get to the point of loading and unloading, the motor might take 56 amps when its unloaded, but it is not doing any work. Welders are different. Even if you have to get some huge plug and strip 3" of your #10 wire to fold it over enough times to be able to tighten the terminal screw, you are not going to destroy the welder.

The precision tig we got from the Roadster shop, came from the factory with a small cable. You look at the cable and think there is no way we are going to be able to get all those amps thru that cable without it heating up and frying, but you are rarely going to get there for a long enough period with the welder. See what cable is on the machine. The SO or SJOW or whatever the extension cord they usually put on that is usually rated for lower amps than regular THHN wire running in the building. Its the closed and open air deal of how the wire cools. (We actually got sheathed underground cable to make our extension from the wall since it carried 90 amps and the SJOW was only rated for 70.just because there is some room for air in the cord) You can google the size of the cable it has and check the amp draw and just make sure you are covered with the cable in the wall. Just keep a little breaker on it for now.

I get a new toy, I want to play with it, or at least make sure it works so when I am ready for a project I know its good to go, so thats all I am trying to say to not worry about hurting the machine with low available amps..

Comment

As long as the breaker is small enough to protect the wire, it won't hurt the machine.

But if you want to weld aluminum, you're gonna need to run a big feed to it. Unlike modern inverter machines that don't draw much current, they're a lot more efficient.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I have a syncrowave 200. I've not welded much aluminum with it yet, but - from what the guys at the miller booth at a couple shows have told me - a dedicated 100 amp breaker and circuit for the welder is what they recommended.

Copper wire prices keep going up, but you have to pay to play, maybe you can get lucky and find some "cut off" lengths of wire used / left over from a job on craigslist or FB marketplace. Sometimes the big box stores will put aside wire that is an odd length.
                          I think the last time I looked a 100 amp squre D QO breaker was $45, plus the plug and receptacle.

Hopefully you have a sizeable sub panel for your shop, if not, now would be a good time to add one.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

100 amp! What size wire is that! I will have to look at the main, shop has its own meter so I should have enough juice coming in.

I looked yesterday the PO had a hot tub (took it with them) there is 50 amp breaker in the house pannel and individual wires running to a junction box under the deck. I might be able to relocate that wire depending on size.
                            Last edited by Russell; October 8, 2018, 01:12 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

what do you plan to weld? If you're mostly doing steel and stainless, a 50 amp breaker will probably do.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X