Timing chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain

I installed a single roller "agriculture strength" timing chain because that is what Edelbrock insisted I do,
    to make sure of cam timing and filling their wallet.

The installation was called into doubt as the timing mark on the cam didīnt seem legit, and the chain was slacky to say the least.
    The mark was indeed the one, there wasīnt any other markings on there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slack_Chain_Aligned.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	1217887

That has been worrying me ever since, especially the slack chain so today it all came apart and a new double roller went in.
    Iīm also installing a timing cover that gives me access to the cam without dropping the oil pan.

Name:	New_Roller_I.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1217888

This one has unmistakable timing marks....

The timing cover.....itīs very pretty.....and itīll be behind the water pump....

Name:	New_Roller_II.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1217890

Comment

Jeez, that was loose. Edelbrock I imagine just buys this stuff from somewhere and sticks their name on it. I've had problems buying loose-out-of-the-box chains, not much that can be done except to keep returning them until you get one that fits right. If every link is made .001" off, the thing is going to be too sloppy to use.

Comment

Has the block be line bored? if so, there is the issue.

Comment

No idea.....but this new chain is tight.
          The single chain's links are big and in technical terms......"floppy".

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
            No idea.....but this new chain is tight.
            The single chain's links are big and in technical terms......"floppy".
            Many double rollers are a little short because the block many times gets line honed.
            Not say'n the singe wasn't the wrong chain or a bad one. but . Seems odd.

Comment

Hopefully this will give you a chance to enjoy the Camaro!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Still looks to me that the cam gear is on backwards and that real mark from the first one was on the other side. Have you ever considered a gear drive? That is what I have for the big block.

Comment

It was not on backwards, it's dished the chain would have never lined up and it would have been very obvious.
                  Fired the car up an hour ago.....runs great.
                  I was getting surges at higher rpms, I'll know later today if that's cured, could be the slack chain that caused it.
                  The smaller links on the new chain must work better than those big things on the old chain.

Comment

Here you go.....cam gear for the single roller chain, front and back, can't get it on wrong.

Name:	20181012_153847.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1217953Click image for larger version

Name:	20181012_153839.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	1217954

Comment

The slop is unacceptable..
                      Figured that you were experiencing surge..
                      Quality control down the hatch!

Bought a new "Ready to run" ign system 2 years ago.. Did not run at all.. Was faster to buy another.. Took 8-10 months to get another.
                      Got installed and made sure it works then put it back in the box for a spare..

Comment

I have been replacing alot of later model timing chains, so many tensioners, guides, on chains that might be 5 feet long. Maybe all that extra has had the timing chain places less quality control minded. May also be import stuff with the metric system too.

I know race guys that will run nothing but belt drives now, just cant see that on the street unless you keep all the possible rocks out of there. So its going to be a whiney gear drive on this motor, we will see what is next when we tear the 350 down from the Camaro this winter. Sorry to be a pain about the sprocket, but at least I think we all now know, if it is not right, does not seem right, dont put it together.

Comment

Ironically, I've had the opposite experience. A nice, brand new double roller was loose and a stock replacement was nice and tight.

Comment

The slack single roller was an Edelbrock part too,
                            not stock.

Drove the Camaro for an hour and a half today at 70-80 mph.....it seems to be on 7 cylinders but when I give it a little more gas it perks right up and goes....
                            No temperature issues at all....water, oil and trans a steady 180°.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                              The slack single roller was an Edelbrock part too,
                              not stock.

Drove the Camaro for an hour and a half today at 70-80 mph.....it seems to be on 7 cylinders but when I give it a little more gas it perks right up and goes....
                              No temperature issues at all....water, oil and trans a steady 180°.
                              Could be something as simple as a bad terminal on a plug wire, when it gets a boost of gas it gets a boost of power and might let the arc jump over the off and on connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X