tire fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire fitment

i found a really good deal on some 295/65/15 drag radials on 15x8 camaro rally's. would these fit on the back of my car?

Re: tire fitment

whats the backspacing on the rallies 4"

the factory wheels are 7" I believe
    and there is room..
    but 295/65 is alot begger than the story 215/65/15"

Comment

On no topic is there more misinformation, or misleading info, than wheel/tire fitment. About the only scenario where a partic fit can be guaranteed is when you have seen a set up on a vehicle identical to yours -- and even then it can be dicy if really pushing the envelope (did the other guy roll the fender lip, massage with BFH, etc). Or if the vendor is willing to allow you to test fit them.

There's lots on the internet on this topic, but it too can be a suspect source. In fact, even what the most popular car mags print on the subject is sometimes simply wrong.

Now, as soon as I say this someone will contradict me and state that they've done it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 295/65-15s are not going to work for your stock set-up, regardless of the rim/backspacing (unless you are prepared to commit to banging, trimming rolling sheet metal). They will be too tall and you will end up tearing the crap out of your sidewalls. When dealing with G-bodies, on the rear stick with a 60-series profile or less and do not go for more width than 275. In fact, on anything over 255 go with a 50-series profile.

Finally, a rim with 4.5-in backspace is preferred. Goes without saying, it's never a deal when you buy rims/tires and they don't fit.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

air shocks or air bags ?

Comment

Good point. Here's the El Camino last year with 275/60-15 MT ET Streets out back on 15 x 8 Weld Draglites (3.5-in backspacing).

I knew in advance the backspacing was going to be a problem, but I'd seen these tires on other G-bodies (Malibus, Montes, etc). As it turned out I had to jack the hind end up with the air shocks to avoid tearing the side walls...MK1 eyeball examination at the time led me to believe that even with an extra inch of backspacing it would have been really touch and go with the fender lip. And all jacked up it looked kind of odd, like something circa 1972.

The other thing that's frustrating: not all 78-87 G-bodies are created exactly the same, especially when it comes to rear wheel wells. You would think what works on a Malibu will work on a Monte will work on a Regal/GN will work on a Grand Prix, etc. But -- for some strange reason -- it just ain't always so.
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
            On no topic is there more misinformation, or misleading info, than wheel/tire fitment. About the only scenario where a partic fit can be guaranteed is when you have seen a set up on a vehicle identical to yours -- and even then it can be dicy if really pushing the envelope (did the other guy roll the fender lip, massage with BFH, etc). Or if the vendor is willing to allow you to test fit them.

There's lots on the internet on this topic, but it too can be a suspect source. In fact, even what the most popular car mags print on the subject is sometimes simply wrong.

Now, as soon as I say this someone will contradict me and state that they've done it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 295/65-15s are not going to work for your stock set-up, regardless of the rim/backspacing (unless you are prepared to commit to banging, trimming rolling sheet metal). They will be too tall and you will end up tearing the crap out of your sidewalls. When dealing with G-bodies, on the rear stick with a 60-series profile or less and do not go for more width than 275. In fact, on anything over 255 go with a 50-series profile.

Finally, a rim with 4.5-in backspace is preferred. Goes without saying, it's never a deal when you buy rims/tires and they don't fit.
            295/65/15's are tall tires for that car..

Comment

G-bodies are really bad about having the rear end not centered in the body, I'd double check before you buy.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                G-bodies are really bad about having the rear end not centered in the body, I'd double check before you buy.
                didnot know that..
                mines off 2mm
                but that can't be that bad

Comment

There is a tool for measuring what will fit on your car. We had a thread on it MANY moons ago but I have no clue on how to search for old threads. Anyhow, it's pricey but if you could find a tire store that would measure you car for a few $$ it would be worth it. Seems like I Googled for "measure tire backspace" or some such.

Good luck -
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    There is a tool for measuring what will fit on your car. We had a thread on it MANY moons ago but I have no clue on how to search for old threads. Anyhow, it's pricey but if you could find a tire store that would measure you car for a few $$ it would be worth it. Seems like I Googled for "measure tire backspace" or some such.

Good luck -
                    Dan
                    you can make one..
                    a 12" by 2" by 1/8" steel and a threaded rod and two nuts..

Comment

buy em and buy some mr gasket or jc whitney spacers just in case
                      my pal had some 8 inch wide vette rallys on his 77 caprice - no problem

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan

295/65/15's are tall tires for that car..

Yeah. According to their website, they are almost exactly the same size as my 10x29 goodyear slicks.
                        They fit my unmodified openings in my Chevelle perfectly with centerline 15x8.5 with 4-7/8" backspacing.

When I put my Chevelle back on the street, it's gonna be tough to look at something "small" like a 275/60. ;) I'm still undecided about what I'm going to do with tire choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                          i found a really good deal on some 295/65/15 drag radials on 15x8 camaro rally's. would these fit on the back of my car?
                          No.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

that train may have left the station

Comment

my cutlass has 245 60 15's on 4" back
                              space 8x15 bart circle track wheels they
                              have a little room to spare not alot
                              pic down here V V V V but not a close up
                              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...