No announcement yet.

Welder - Hobart Handler 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first welder was a HUGE Lincoln SP200, I bough it from a body shop, it had undoubtedly been used and abused for years, and I couldn't break it! It was a tank.
    My brother in law is a welder fabricator by trade and swears by Miller. Thanks to his preferred customer discount, I have two miller machines now that quite honestly make me a better welder.
    The big SP200 was great for heavy work, but did not at all like dealing with sheet metal stuff - even rougher stuff like floor replacement, that's when I started looking for a newer smaller mig. I ended up with the first generation of the auto-set Millers in 220v since my shop was already set up for 220. The auto set is really REALLY nice. Measure the thickness you're welding, that's your input. No fooling around with wire speed / amperage / voltage settings. It's allot faster to get you to the right setting for those of us that don't weld every day.

I've heard allot of folks swear by all the major brands, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Esab, HP (I think Squirrel has one of those) and I have heard a few folks say that the Eastwood branded welders are good too.

IMHO a welder is NOT a thing I would buy from Harbor Freight (along with anything you expect to be hardened or keep an edge - their drill bits are a one time use item!)

If you can't find a good one used - look around for the black Friday sales, maybe you can pick up an Eastwood for a good price. Then make friends with a local gas supplier to get you set up with the proper gas bottle. Flux is OK for outdoor structural stuff, but you can't beat gas shielding for welding on a car.

Believe it or not I've had some luck getting wire, breakers, and breaker panels used, might save you a few bux running that 220 plug out to the garage.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I have been using a Hobart Handler 135 for a least 15 years. Been very dependable. I recommend using .023 wire.Will do almost everything you would do on a car. Hobart is made by Miller, Handle on my Hobart says Miller.
      Last edited by Crank; November 22, 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        See Joe, Ed and I are ganging up on you. You know we mean well, and...we'll do everything except help you pay for it...
        Shit, that was my next question; Who wants to help fund the new welder and 220v outlet....

Lots of good info here, all very sage advice. I found a some good deals on some used miller products recently but they were sold when I called. I am going to sit it out for a little while, keep my eyes open. If I can score a good welding used I think I'll get more for my money. Otherwise I'll just continue to pad the welder account.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

yeah, I saw this one https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/t...752188924.html

There was another brand, an old unit from the 80/90s that by all accounts was a very good welder with cart and big bottle for 400. It was gone in a blink. The name escapes me, it was big and green but everything I read about it was that it was and still is a good machine....day late and a dollar short, story of my life.

I also found a roller body to the far west of town. I'm keeping an eye on the price. If it does not sell I may pull the trigger on it after the holiday. It is a sedan not a hard top but the body is rust free and would not take me long to get it rolling with all my goodies...

we'll see....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

When you go to your local welding supply, ask if they have trade in's from those that upgraded to a bigger unit. Yes get the 220v unit. the 110v are good for being able to take to places and not worry about plugging in, but the 220v will work better. buy it once is always cheaper than buying it twice/outgrowing it.

Comment

Two other things that can make a good welder crap, voltage drop, which was mentioned, and also the ground clamp can be a problem. I imagine when you find people who skimp on the welder they are also skimping on the other aspects. My best friends dad has a little campbell hausfield 110v mig that actually does decent for very small work.

When I was a cdl driver I used to deliver welding supplies for USAirweld and we sold Lincoln and some other brand that was red (I can't remember the name off hand and I don't want to make a false accusation because I got the name wrong) Anyway we used to get warranty repairs on the generic ones pretty often, but I never once saw a warranty on a lincoln.

Hell, I have a lincoln buzzbox, just a standard 220v AC stick welder that I am pretty sure is older than dirt (It was given to me) Works perfect...

I have good experiences with Miller as well.

If you were up in PHX I would help you wire in the outlet... I have done one in the last 4 houses I have lived in

Comment

I have always had Millers, but I am loving my new Omnipro 220. Search for coupons... I got it for $750. https://m.harborfreight.com/omnipro-...not%20provided

Comment

Working...
                  X