Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silverado 2500HD Owners (1999 - 2010) - speak up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverado 2500HD Owners (1999 - 2010) - speak up!

I am interested in hearing your experience (likes / dislikes) with your brakes. I am contemplating modifying these brakes to put on my 66 F250.

Allen, I am sorry that we haven't been quicker with the info, but other than rust belt issues these disk brakes give excellent service...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have an 2003, never thought much about them. They stop when you push pedal. car trailer has brakes so does not seem like a lot of extra load. Had it a couple years it sits most of the time so I have not put a ton of miles on them. But have been trouble free so far.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Allen, I am sorry that we haven't been quicker with the info, but other than rust belt issues these disk brakes give excellent service...
        Patrick - no worries on the technical details. It was meant to be two different questions. The one I posted here was meant to ask about durability preferably under hard / abusive use. What I had ask you about was more fitment related. Our local Pick and Pull doesn't have a lot of trucks listed in the inventory so it isn't all that easy to check this stuff out locally. I have a list of potential donor trucks and am going to go by next weekend to see if they have something I can use.

Comment

Allen, one of my vehicles is a 2006 Chevy 3500 Express Van. The rear disk brakes suck when compared to my 99 F350 Dually. I am thinking that the GM proportioning is applying less pressure than the Ford. There is a good chance that van is coming off the road and going to be parted out soon. If you have any interest in that rear let me know. I don't have any particular details on width or gear ration.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
            Allen, one of my vehicles is a 2006 Chevy 3500 Express Van. The rear disk brakes suck when compared to my 99 F350 Dually. I am thinking that the GM proportioning is applying less pressure than the Ford. There is a good chance that van is coming off the road and going to be parted out soon. If you have any interest in that rear let me know. I don't have any particular details on width or gear ration.
            Lars - I don't think I am interested in the entire rear end BUT if you are parting it out, I might be interested in the rear emergency brake assemblies and both front and rear caliper mounting brackets. I am still researching stuff so I am not sure exactly what I am going to do. Hopefully, I will get a clue before you start parting out the van.
            Last edited by cstmwgn; November 19, 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I had a 04 for awhile and loved it, it was a gas burner but still pulled like an angry mule. Brake wise, never had a problem, stopped on a dime even when pulling my trailer with two bundles of plywood. Mine was a crew cab model.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                Lars - after a discouraging trip to our local pick and pull - it doesn't appear that the rear disk brake setups for the Dana / Sterling rearends will convert easily to my early housing. Thanks for the offer but I don't want to go any wider that what I have now.

Comment

I drove my recently acquired 2003 2500 hd (6.0 gas) 4x4 cross country, 2,400 miles each way. I did this on the Northern route of I-80 four times pulling a borrowed 48' - 3 car ramp trailer moving to Indiana. This entails multiple climbs and descents of 8k, 7k, and a couple 6k elevations. One trip had 2 + 1/2 '67 Mustangs and the other had three 60's midsize wagons fully loaded with my shop crap. The downhill grades were what worried me most about the adventure but the truck and brakes did fine through it all. I will be hanging on to this truck for a long time!
                  Last edited by Dignlif; November 28, 2018, 10:14 AM.
                  Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

I have a 2001 2500 with the 6.0 and pull a 24ft enclosed trailer, about my only complaint is the brakes, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZ View Post
                      I have a 2001 2500 with the 6.0 and pull a 24ft enclosed trailer, about my only complaint is the brakes, lol.
                      Sooo, what sucks about the brakes?
                      Don't stop
                      Warps rotors
                      Eats pads
                      ??????

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Sooo, what sucks about the brakes?
                        Don't stop
                        Warps rotors
                        Eats pads
                        ??????
                        It just takes a little longer to stop. I've towed with a couple other trucks like a 2500 ram with the 6.2 pulling a Bobcat on an open trailer and it stops a lot better. My trailer weighs probably 8000 or so. It's not terrible but its probably my only complaint for what it is.

Comment

Mine was a little newer than what your considering. I had a 2013 2500HD and pulled a 12000# 5th wheel thru the Smokey's and out to Yellowstone thru Wyoming. Never had any issues with braking in the mountians, even on long downhill runs. Sold the truck with just over 25k miles when we upgraded to a Class C this fall.
                          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Working...
                          X