64 SS Impala courtesy lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 SS Impala courtesy lights

I've been out in the garage all day working on my 64 courtesy lights. The front driver side under the dash feel a part last week and the rear console light has never been hooked up. Oh yea I had to order a new console switch because the old one feel a part.
    So the rear light I finally figured it out. It was connected straight to ground that is why it has been disconnected. I ran a new ground wire through the console and tied it into the drivers side courtesy light since I had it a part to fix.

The 64 factory light fixture is plastic with 2 wires. The ground is ran through to the door jam switch. So I bought a single wire fixture and gutted it. I cut the spring in half and installed it and the single wire. Then I took a small red spade connector and crimped the wire to it and jammed it into the side like the old ground wire was. Works like a champ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	single wire holder.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1222091
    Attached Files
    Retirement is better than I thought!

that's one way to do it....there are others, too. good to see you got it working.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      that's one way to do it....there are others, too. good to see you got it working.
      Yes there are but not this cheap. A new light fixture is $35.00 for a 64. You have to buy the whole harness are find one in a yard. The console light and switch was $25.00. I ordered it.

Comment

you can get a two wire socket, and the single filament two contact bulb, also..... the filament connects to both contacts, not to the bulb base.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          you can get a two wire socket, and the single filament two contact bulb, also..... the filament connects to both contacts, not to the bulb base.

Correct but it want use the same bulbs. I would need different bulbs for it all the time.

Comment

I finally got the console light and wired it up. I now have all the interior lights working as they should.
            I think I found the reason they where coming on at any given time also. The ground wire coming up the drivers side of the floor comes up and over the E brake bracket. I found a small area of wire exposed. I covered it with tape and plastic loom. So far it hasn't come back on but I haven't drove it yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	47476606_1987207071386522_1607382718729945088_n.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1223733

Comment

Working...
            X