you can make based off diameter although there are no hard/fast rules
    as tweaking fin angle changes stall even in same diameters,

that being said, most stock stall (1400-1800 maybe) converters tend to
    be 13 or 12 inches, a step up to an 11 inch is USUALLY a 2000-2800 or so,
    and a 10 inch is usually 2800 to 3500 or 4000, the 8 inchers are usually
    very high like 3800-5000+rpm...

again, thats just generally speaking.

Comment

All that, plus running one up to stall speed puts pressure/stress into them, thus racing ones get rebuilt tougher.

Comment

I got a 2000 stal for the 700R4 from the rebuilder, it was basically a code stamped that you can cross reference, this one ended up being a standard converter for a grand national.

http://www.gmtuners.com/gmtransinfo.htm This is what I currently found, I think I just entered the stamped number in google and got to a catalog back then.

Comment

also, generally speaking i personally like a bit less stall than the cam card calls for--
          the 292/.595/108 isky (244@ .050) in my 461" white vette had a call out for 3200-3500 stall.

i run a 2400-2600 11" converter and love the way the car drives, doesnt stall in gear
          or anything either. although for sure the bigger recommended stall would work better
          with slicks on a dragstrip, this car spends 99% of its time on the street-although there
          may or may not have been quite a few street races....

and so what if the car shakes so hard at idle you cant see out of the rear view mirror,
          that just adds to the fearsomeness. and as stated above stall=heat=bad. however, that
          being said not enough stall is just as bad as too much. like everything else in a hot street
          car its all a chain, cant touch one link without affecting the rest, and its only as strong and/or
          reliable as the weakest link.

post your combo--motor, compression, cam, weight, gear, intended usage, etc-- really, the more
          info the better because that will narrow down the choices--and im sure at least several dozen of
          us can make several recommendations based on your combo.
          but in the end its your car/your money/your decision.
          Last edited by fatguyzinc; November 29, 2018, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X