Auto trans remote cooler sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto trans remote cooler sizing

Has anyone run across a sensible formula for automatic transmission cooler sizing? Or is the standard rule of thumb just mount the biggest Honkin one you can fit?

I don't have a lot of room to mount one in the Astre. I can't imagine I would need a lot in there with a little 200 horse engine and a 200 4r.

I contacted Derale and they recommended this.

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coo...9/13960-detail
    Last edited by Hoffbug; December 28, 2018, 08:22 AM.
    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

does the radiator have a cooler in it?

if so, perhaps you could use that...and also add a temp gage, and if you decide it's getting too warm, add an external cooler.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The radiator is pretty small... it's basically an aluminum copy of the Vega with air conditioning or the Cosworth Vega radiator. There is no transmission cooling provision on it.

Comment

The Derale unit would be a good choice if you have room to fit it... Malc did a good write up on his cooling system and woes: https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...new-180%C2%BAf
        We have been adding a remote trans filter whenever we install a remote cooler... keeps any particulate(clutch lining, etc.) from plugging the cooler...:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgIsE_D_BwE
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          The Derale unit would be a good choice if you have room to fit it... Malc did a good write up on his cooling system and woes: https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...new-180%C2%BAf
          We have been adding a remote trans filter whenever we install a remote cooler... keeps any particulate(clutch lining, etc.) from plugging the cooler...:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgIsE_D_BwE
          Interesting thread...With the 2 Spal pusher fans covering most of my little radiator maybe the Derale remote mount trans cooler makes sense. I think I'd skip the remote filter for now ..What about a temp bypass? Is that necessary for a fair season driven vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbug View Post

Interesting thread...With the 2 Spal pusher fans covering most of my little radiator maybe the Derale remote mount trans cooler makes sense. I think I'd skip the remote filter for now ..What about a temp bypass? Is that necessary for a fair season driven vehicle?
            We have run the bullet for 2 years with no bypass and no issues....fair weather conditions only....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

stacked plate is better than tube/fin, and its almost impossible to "overcool" an automatic
              transmission--just like its almost impossible to make it shift "too hard".....

Click image for larger version

Name:	size-matters.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1225882

Comment

That "cooler" in the stock rad is in fact a warmer upper for the trans to get it to operating temps quicker.
                Can't tell you the size of my trans cooler.....forgotten....I use a Derale 180 thermostat to help warm the trans up.
                With my last fan modifications and placing my coolers close to the rad my problems have been solved.......touch wood, turn 'round and whistle.

Comment

BTW I installed a remote filter for the trans too.

Comment

My trans cooler is BM, 8"x11"x1.5"

Use AN fittings and hose, regular rubber hose and barb fittings can fail....I know...

Comment

speedway has some frame rail mounted coolers, allowing the air to take care of it without a fan. Tried that, did not like it much, but it just is a step in front of another one in front of the radiator now. Just another little bit of hose or tube to run them in series.

I made a manifold block in the cooling line to put a sensor for a temperature gauge, it does not a real good reading, so if you are going with the gauge consider where you would mount a bulkhead in the pan for it.

Comment

That big one I listed earlier isn't going to fit where I thought it could..I'll have to think about this one for a while.

Comment

GM states for a road vehicles not racing vehicles to keep the trans under 200* . I have all mine using aux coolers along with stock radiator cooler. and never see temps over 200* ever. Best thing is get a good measurement of the area you plan on putting it and buy the biggest that would fit.

By the way I bet they sell a vega radiator with a cooler:

Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/c...ide.pdf?x44454

this might help you get a size, that fit your cooling needs.
                            Last edited by Eric; January 13, 2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X