No announcement yet.

Practical truck cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short duration, hi lift, short LC. anything over 110 is a crutch on the LC, to compensate for too much duration.
    comp cams grinds on a 110, the isky is a 108 and commonly 20-30hp over the same size comp for any given
    size. i dont own stock in isky, i aint got an isky to sell you--just telling you what works REALLY good for me and
    tons of more than satisfied customers.

ive also used lunati with good success. every comp cam ive tried has gotten swapped within a few months as
    they are usually disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
      short duration, hi lift, short LC. anything over 110 is a crutch on the LC, to compensate for too much duration.
      comp cams grinds on a 110, the isky is a 108 and commonly 20-30hp over the same size comp for any given
      size. i dont own stock in isky, i aint got an isky to sell you--just telling you what works REALLY good for me and

ive also used lunati with good success. every comp cam ive tried has gotten swapped within a few months as
      on an 8.5:1 (optimistically speaking) motor? the motor needs more compression, bleeding it off with 110 LC would kill it.... ask me how I know
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

234/244 at 50 with low compression seems like a little much.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I know the base well, it's where my nephew worked when he was in.... trust me, though, not knowing him is a good thing - he didn't leave under friendly terms (or from me for that matter).

That said, I'd make you a heck of a deal on a set... though last time I checked the street price for new was less then $600. If you bandaid it until you get here, it'd take a day to do a top end. Point is it runs now. Sure it'll make a ticking sound but keep the rocker adjusted enough so the pushrod can't escape (treat that hole like a solid cam) and drive the tires of it until the day comes to make the changes - then you can do something that is economical, powerful, and reliable. Be a hoot to drive, too. Even with exhaust, I've done bunches of those swaps and it take 1, easy day.

The one thing I would do is a Chinese HEI - it's amazing how much power you get back with good ignition.
          I think I'll have to take you up on that offer!
          i actually already installed an HEI a couple of weeks ago, doesn't feel much better than the Pertronix electronic kit I put in when I bought her, but it's from DUI, so it should be good for a long while.
          Where in WA are ya? I'm gonna be around Bremerton
          Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

BTW Eagle... Thanks for your service! Did my time on the surface, but, out of our first 5.5 years of marriage, we had less than 2 years total time together.... I salute you sir!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

on an 8.5:1 (optimistically speaking) motor? the motor needs more compression, bleeding it off with 110 LC would kill it.... ask me how I know
              if thats really what hes got then yes he needs small chamber heads FAR more than a cam....

Comment

Summit offers a 450/450 with a 106 overlap.... but my thinking was building for the future. Are we really calling a 460 cam hi lift?
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
                  ... Are we really calling a 460 cam hi lift?
                  Yes - when we are talking LOBE lift!

Comment

I don't mean to sound dumb, but are we sure all these cams are O.K. with stock springs?
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post

I think I'll have to take you up on that offer!
                      i actually already installed an HEI a couple of weeks ago, doesn't feel much better than the Pertronix electronic kit I put in when I bought her, but it's from DUI, so it should be good for a long while.
                      Where in WA are ya? I'm gonna be around Bremerton
                      other side of the sound - Woodinville - quick ferry ride across the water....
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        I don't mean to sound dumb, but are we sure all these cams are O.K. with stock springs?
                        of course not. any cam even a mild one should have all the correct "supporting actors" installed along with it.
                        this includes (but is not limited to) lifters, springs, timing set, etc....

Comment

of course not. any cam even a mild one should have all the correct "supporting actors" installed along with it.
                          this includes (but is not limited to) lifters, springs, timing set, etc....
                          It's just the OP didn't sound like changing springs was in the plan. Shame to get that BIG cam and have stock springs turn to noodles. Changing springs is such a chore, but nothing compared to the occaisional dropped valve.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Do it right once, or do it again.

I'd probably just nurse it on the trip and watch oil levels closely. Once you can throw the right parts at it and get everything working together, it'd be no shock at all to double the power of the thing, and very likely gain a big wad of useful torque to boot.

Comment

How do you know you have a "sticky lifter" how was that diagnosed?

What motor is it and what year truck, maybe we can fix that lifter.

Have you tried something like this

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/en...ee-and-tune-up

Project Farm on Youtube tests all this type of stuff, he was impressed with Restore.

Last edited by 65RHDEER; January 10, 2019, 02:37 AM.
                              Tim
                              Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

It's just the OP didn't sound like changing springs was in the plan. Shame to get that BIG cam and have stock springs turn to noodles. Changing springs is such a chore, but nothing compared to the occaisional dropped valve.
                                even the stock springs are most likely noodl-ish at this point. changing springs not that bad
                                even in car---50ft of 3/8 nylon rope in the plug hole, rotate by hand in firing order to push rope against valves,
                                on head 'leverage' type compresser, takes all of a couple hours maybe.

and ANY upgrade should always include all the supporting actors--i wouldnt change cams without
                                changing springs anymore than id put back the stock timing chain. do it once, do it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X