Floor Jack Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Jack Recommendations

I am in the market for a new floor jack to replace a dead craftsman 3 ton model that I have been using for about 25 years. A quick search online yielded a couple of options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	46186_2000x2000.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	1227489

Click image for larger version

Name:	144236_2000x2000.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	1227488

These seen to have good reviews and are at a decent price point. Anyone have any experience with these or recommendations of something you really liked?
    Attached Files
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

is it one you'll use only in the shop, or will you move it around? I need to get a new one for my shop one of these days, and I'm thinking it will be even bigger and heavier than what I have now. I have another floor jack that is light, that I can haul around to other places when needed.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have one like the black one, it's actually a Craftsman and came with a case so it's very versatile. But it all depends on your usage. If it's going to stay in the shop the red one might be better. But I have a lift so I don't use it as much in the shop.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

heh... this is going to sound funny if you're been following my C3 build - however, Costco jacks. Despite the problem I had, they're still the best value for dollars - not just that, but you have a lifetime warranty through Costco (I call it the moral warranty - if you believe it's moral to take it back, they'll accept it)... I have 3 jacks, 1 doesn't work, the other 'works' but it's got issues - but they both are at least 10 if not 15 years old... I've had a Harbor Freight jack (aluminum) and it didn't last 5 years and had several design problems as well...
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          is it one you'll use only in the shop, or will you move it around? I need to get a new one for my shop one of these days, and I'm thinking it will be even bigger and heavier than what I have now. I have another floor jack that is light, that I can haul around to other places when needed.
          Shop use only. I've got a little craftsman in a plastic case that I use for road trips.

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          heh... this is going to sound funny if you're been following my C3 build - however, Costco jacks. Despite the problem I had, they're still the best value for dollars - not just that, but you have a lifetime warranty through Costco (I call it the moral warranty - if you believe it's moral to take it back, they'll accept it)... I have 3 jacks, 1 doesn't work, the other 'works' but it's got issues - but they both are at least 10 if not 15 years old... I've had a Harbor Freight jack (aluminum) and it didn't last 5 years and had several design problems as well...
          I have been following that build. Very impressive. I noticed you got a new jack that you had to fix right away. What are your thoughts on that model?

Thanks for the feedback.
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Whatever you get, buy two! It's super handy having a secondary jack, even if it's smallish.

That said, my HF jack (the 1.5T is my small, secondary) has held up surprisingly well for me after 2 years.

Comment

the jack I'm thinking of replacing is 30 years old now....
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Someone stole my old Craftsman jack on Dragweek. I picked up one of the low profile steel HF jacks it rolls way better than the old one and fits under the cross member. It's a much better jack
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I discovered that my 30 year old jack rolls really well, after I oil the wheels
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I have found that I need to keep an eye on the extended height of the jack... have been buying ones that are a low profile long reach jack.... need to lift 23 " for light trucks... Using a 2 1/2 ton HF aluminum in my work truck and a 3 1/2 ton steel michelin bought at Sam's club about ten years ago...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I got the american forge low profile jack a few years ago. really strong ball busting jack.

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

I have been following that build. Very impressive. I noticed you got a new jack that you had to fix right away. What are your thoughts on that model?

Thanks for the feedback.
                        I like it, just remember not to leave the Costco parking lot before you've opened it up to be sure it's not pre-broken. I thought seriously about just welding the bolt back on (you could still take it apart), but then didn't....
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I discovered that my 30 year old jack rolls really well, after I oil the wheels
                          Maybe the HF came pre oiled but so far I have not oiled it. I did oil the wheels on the Craftsman it went from not able to roll with a car on it to hard to roll.
                          ​​​​​
                          i think I used mmo. What type of oil do you recommend?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

the squirt can in the shop...5W30, I think.

could be it's just a really crappy jack, though.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

The HF low profile steel 3 ton twists really bad if its not dead flat. Kind of sketchy. The 4 ton hf steel has worked reliably for me for the last six years. It lifted a 1 ton dualy diesel that still had the plow attached with zero drama. The 4 ton is heavy as hell but that's what you want in that style jack. It replaced a 20 year old 3 ton napa jack that seeped oil from day 1.

Steve
                              Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Working...
                              X