Opinions about pipe / tubing options
    PVC
    Black Iron
    Copper
    Galvanized Steel
    ????

I live in Florida so MOISTURE is a critical factor

What say you?

Black iron with several vertical runs with drain valves on the bottoms.

Comment

Iron or copper. Agree about the drains on the bottom of your drops.......ball valves work very well for those.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Lots of discussion/options and opinions on the subject @ the garage journal forum.

Many pros/cons of each, but I decided on copper connected to the compressor with flex line.
          The copper helps the moisture to condense (as would iron/copper will not rust).
          I recommend that your drops start with the "T" pointing up then 180 back down for the drop.
          This helps keep the condensed moisture from having free access to the hose connected to each drop.
          I use the last drop in the run as my main drain without the upward facing "T" and a ball valve at the bottom.
          Angle the run down so moisture runs to the end drop/drain. It's adds up to a bit more work, but helps cut down on moisture without buying a dryer.
          fyi I also use a "T" at the bottom of each drop with the coupler horizontal and a valve at the bottom. heavy use will always bring some water down the line,
          I like to have a way to let it out besides the air tool or paint gun.

I'm sure that is clear as mud........

A.K.A. Brian
          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by Shep48COE View Post
            Black iron with several vertical runs with drain valves on the bottoms.
            the problem with Iron is rust in a high moisture environment.... plugs paint guns, wears out air tools...
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

the problem with copper, is that you have to pay for it. But it's still what you want to use.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

***And if you're doing any priming or painting, at the very least, in addition to a water trap at the start of the hardline, you should also have a dessicant dryer on the line you attach your spray gun to.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8055757e
                Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; January 17, 2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Copper, and nothing but

1)pcv chatters.
                  2)iron rust. unless you like rust flakes blocking your air and having to try to blow them out every few years.

cons, copper is more money. and a target for meth heads. but copper is do it once and forget it. no rust issues. put the copper inside cheap pcv pipe and the meth heads can't see it to think to strip it.

Iron pipe is cheaper, until you are pulling it out to redo it. again in copper, do it right the first time.
                  yes you can slow the rust issue with galvy coated pipe, an automatic oiler for the air tools, but that is if you never ever want to ever paint.

We just repiped one 2 car garage, and will be repiping a single come spring. as the iron pipe is flaking from the inside. yes it took 8 years to get really bad. but We always had rust colored oil/water coming out the air tools exhaust. and that isn't good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                    Lots of discussion/options and opinions on the subject @ the garage journal forum.
                    I did read a thread over there that gave a lot of good information. I also found a diagram that loops the drops up about 8" before turning down for the fittings/couplers.
                    I always like to come back here for opinions as I know this group a little bit better than a board I don't hang out on.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      the problem with copper, is that you have to pay for it. But it's still what you want to use.
                      So what about the concern over copper being fragile - easy to damage / puncture?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

So what about the concern over copper being fragile - easy to damage / puncture?

yes, because in a shop things can bang into it, and crush it,/etc. but if you put it in pvc or put the pipe insulation on it. and use the thicker schedule pipe.
                        And mount the ends real well, so the connecting or un-connecting of hose doesn't break a sweated joint.
                        Because I'll be replacing black iron, my drops will be dropped into the old 1" iron pipe. this will protect it from garage mishaps.

Comment

The reason why I mentioned the max air system is because of the ease of installation and the stability of aluminum core poly tubing.... planning on it for our next garage upgrade....
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            The reason why I mentioned the max air system is because of the ease of installation and the stability of aluminum core poly tubing.... planning on it for our next garage upgrade....
                            alum, and water. not a long lasting pair. I have a/n fittings that were in a shed that the roof leaked, that are now like dust.. and that is from just a little rain getting on them. hot air being pushed through, and cooling in pipe. eck..
                            Last edited by Eric; January 18, 2019, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I have had copper lines for 10 or 11 years with no issues.
                              Even if you manage to rupture it, it is an easy fix, and it won't blast out shards like pvc or possibly even iron could.
                              A.K.A. Brian
                              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Working...
                              X